Coffin assault judgment will be lesson for racists - Mlotshwa

2017-08-25 18:12
Victor Mlotshwa. (Jeanette Chabalala, News24)

Victor Mlotshwa. (Jeanette Chabalala, News24)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Middelburg - Coffin assault victim Victor Mlotshwa says the judgment against two white men who forced him into a coffin will serve as a "lesson" to racists.

Judge Segopotje Sheila Mphahlele ruled on Friday that Willem Oosthuizen and Theo Jackson were guilty of assault, attempted murder, kidnapping and intimidation.

"The verdict will be a lesson to those who are engaging themselves in racism," Mlotshwa told reporters outside the Middelburg Magistrate's Court.

"I am feeling very good that they have been found guilty. I always said I wanted justice."

During proceedings the court gallery was packed to capacity with ANC, EFF and DA supporters.

There was also a large contingent of media in court.

Following the verdict Mlotshwa's mother Lonia said she wanted the accused to be "sentenced for what they did to my son".

"They messed ... with his head. It took time to take him to doctors in order to help him get his mind back to normal," she said.

The ANC's Speedy Mashilo said the party hoped for not less than 15 years for the accused.

"The issue of racism is a problem. This is a racist matter."

During their two week long trial, the accused argued that they had to act when Mlotshwa allegedly threatened to burn their crops and murder their wives and kids.

Jackson told the court that he was told to "get rid" of the coffin because it was causing trouble. The coffin would have been used as crucial evidence in the case.

During his evidence-in-chief led by his lawyer Org Basson, Jackson said he never considered what they did to Mlotshwa as wrong.

Mlotshwa had previously testified that Jackson made use of the knobkerrie to assault him all over his body, but "mostly on the back".

He also said the duo had used cable ties to restrain him.

They were granted R1 000 bail in July after reapplying for bail.

The case was postponed to October 23 for sentencing.

Read more on:    victor mlotshwa  |  racism  |  crime

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
Watch: Investing in the future through child development

An investment of R32-million into 11 early childhood development centres is changing the future for children in the Northern Cape.

/News
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.