ConCourt to rule on IEC voter address

2016-06-14 07:03
(IEC)

(IEC)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Johannesburg – The Constitutional Court was on Tuesday expected to deliver a crucial judgment on the case about addresses of IEC voters, which could have massive implications on the upcoming local government elections.

The IEC filed an urgent application with the court in April, seeking leave to appeal an earlier Electoral Court ruling that it furnish addresses of registered voters to candidates contesting the elections.

As it stands, the Electoral Court ruling could result in millions of registered voters being disqualified from casting their votes in the upcoming local government elections because the IEC does not have their proper addresses.

Last month, Parliament was told that the Electoral Commission of SA did not have the addresses of around 46% of more than 26 million people registered to vote in the August elections.

Tlokwe by-elections

This potentially ground-breaking case stems from a Constitutional Court ruling from November 2015 where the court ruled that that the 2013 Tlokwe by-elections in the North West were not free and fair.

The court found that the closely contested vote fell short of the standards set out in the Constitution.

The African National Congress (ANC) had won all the contested wards except one.

The independent candidates included former ANC councillors expelled in July 2013 for participating in removing an ANC mayor. 

Before the by-elections, the candidates had lodged objections with the Electoral Commission (IEC) over voter registrations in their respective wards.

In the December by-elections in six wards, the applicants complained of delays in receiving the segments of the national voters’ roll to be used for the by-elections.

These segments also did not include the residential addresses for any voters.

The candidates approached the Electoral Court for an order that the December by-elections be postponed, but the court was unable to convene to hear the application.

The by-elections went ahead and six of the candidates lost.

Following the by-elections, the IEC conducted its own investigation into the allegation that voters not entitled to register in these wards had been registered and their participation affected the by-election results.

Not free and fair

Following these revelations, the Constitutional Court set the by-elections aside and these were to be re-contested in February this year, with all new voters required to provide details of their address or sufficient details of where they lived in order for them to be placed in a voting district.

On the eve of the fresh by-elections, however, the Electoral Court halted the voting processes after six independent candidates complained that the IEC had not upheld the November 2015 Constitutional Court ruling as over 4 000 addresses were missing from the voters’ roll.

They requested a postponement of the elections.

The Electoral Court upheld the argument and ruled that that the by-elections would again not be free and fair. The ruling resulted in the delay of several by-elections which had been scheduled around the country.

In its urgent application presented to the Constitutional Court last month, the IEC argued that the Electoral Court’s interpretation of the November 2015 judgment was wrong, and that it is only obliged to furnish voters’ addresses which it has in its possession

The commission said before 2003, it was not required to keep addresses of voters and it highlighted that the lack of a voters’ address did not make the voting roll irregular.

The commission has also revealed that around eight million dwellings did not have an address and many of these did not have a tar road running next to them.

The ANC agreed with the Electoral Commission and supported the relief sought in the application.

The DA and IFP opposed the application for leave to appeal.

The Democratic Alliance has argued that the court should order the relief sought in the direct access application but limit it only to the 2016 local government elections.

 The IFP, on the other hand, opposed the direct access application proposing that a provisional balloting system be used by the Electoral Commission to solve the issue.

Read more on:    sca  |  iec  |  local elections 2016

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24

 
PARTNER CONTENT
INFOGRAPHIC: New thinking required for retirement

Everything we believe about retirement is fast becoming outdated.

PARTNER CONTENT
WATCH: How education can change a life

A university education gives students the chance to create a better future for themselves, their families and to opportunity achieve their dreams.

/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.