Copesville woman electrocuted after stepping on live wire

2016-07-29 11:22
Mzungezwa Projects’ Siyabonga Zuli (left) and Ivan Chetty hold up the electrical cables removed from the Copesville highway after a woman was electrocuted there.

Mzungezwa Projects’ Siyabonga Zuli (left) and Ivan Chetty hold up the electrical cables removed from the Copesville highway after a woman was electrocuted there. (Ian Carbutt, The Witness)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Pietermaritzburg - A woman was electrocuted in Copesville on Thursday while walking near a bank near the suburb’s police station.

Jabulile Ndlovu (53) had been walking home from the shops, carrying the bags of groceries she had just bought for her family when she stepped on a live wire.

Ndlovu’s nephew Bheki Ndlovu said his aunt had slipped and then grabbed onto a live wire to keep from falling.

With the live wires still around her, Ndlovu’s body lay in the grass, groceries and her handbag lying next to her as her visibly devastated family waited for her body to be removed.

After a three-and-a-half-hour wait, the live wires were deactivated and removed and Ndlovu’s body was loaded into the mortuary van.

Bheki said his aunt was the breadwinner in her family and worked as a domestic worker.

“She was a good person, a church-goer and everyone in the family was close to her.

“This is very hard for us,” he said.

ANC ward 29 candidate Spha Madlala, who was at the scene, said illegal connections were a “big problem” in the area.

“People who are connecting the electricity know this is illegal. How many lives have been lost because of this? How many lives will continue to be lost until this stops?” he asked.

Mountain Rise police spokesperson Captain Gay Ebrahim said Ndlovu was from the Ezinkatheni area in Copesville.

“The Mountain Rise police are investigating and have opened an inquest docket,” she said.

Msunduzi municipal spokesperson Nqobile Madonda said electricians were dispatched to isolate the power supply.

“As council we continue to appeal to residents both of domestic properties and rental flats not to connect illegally as this is not only damaging to council’s infrastructure but it also leads to loss of lives, which could have been avoided,” she said.

• chelsea.pieterse@witness.co.za

Read more on:    pietermaritzburg  |  electrocution

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
PARTNER CONTENT
INFOGRAPHIC: New thinking required for retirement

Everything we believe about retirement is fast becoming outdated.

/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.