Dispute over Imizamo Yethu's redesign

2017-04-14 12:05
Imizamo Yethu. (Photo: Robin Thuynsma)

Imizamo Yethu. (Photo: Robin Thuynsma)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Cape Town - One month after the large fire in Imizamo Yethu, there are still unresolved disputes between the City of Cape Town and residents about the redesign of the settlement.

The city proposed to reblock the area after the large fire of March 11 left thousands homeless. Some residents, mostly those who were renting, had been moved to tents.

Most of the residents from a section called Shooting Range opposed the reblocking, because of concerns of how long they would be left homeless, GroundUp reported.

Reblocking means reconstructing the area with more space between the shacks so emergency services could gain access, and to reduce the likelihood of fires spreading.

Residents opposed to the reblocking began rebuilding their shacks, so the city obtained a court interdict on March 19 against anyone who continued to erect structures.

Reblocking began in an area called Mandela Park. But Shooting Range residents claimed the city had no proper plans for them and they refused to stay in the tents. They intended to oppose the city’s interdict.

Timeframes

Mayor Patricia de Lille and some community leaders briefed media in Imizamo Yethu on Wednesday. She said the city had written to both the provincial and national governments to have the settlement declared a disaster area. The application was being considered and processed, she said.

The city had provided various timeframes on how long the reblocking would take.

“The city was ambitious in the thinking that [reblocking] would be completed in such a short space of time. The terrain is mountainous and therefore very difficult to build on,” she said.

De Lille said it would take about three months for the city to develop the area and that comfortable living arrangements had to be made to accommodate the residents for that time. Fifty-three families had already been moved to temporary relocation areas and more would continue to be moved in the next few days.

The reblocking project had cost the city approximately R92m. Additionally, installation of electricity would cost R44m.

Shooting Range community leader, Pamela Sofika, said she was not surprised that the city only called those residents who agreed with it.

“Who are those community leaders? Who are they representing? Because we were not invited and we represent the majority of the fire-affected people,” she said.

“We have registered over 1 200 residents who are saying no to the city’s plans. They want to move people from a shack to another shack then back to a shack. Where is development in that?”

They had asked the city for temporary houses and were told there was no money.

'We know our rights'

Another resident, Nolubabalo Jako, said there would be no progress if the city continued to disregard residents’ concerns.

“We might not be educated, but we know our rights and we know that we can have a say on how we want to live. They cannot decide for us and force us to do things that we do not want,” said Jako.

They were already unhappy with what they were seeing in the area that was being reblocked.

Their concerns were having to stay in tents during winters, and that their homes would be smaller after reblocking.

One of the recommendations the residents had made to the city was to wait until a housing development currently underway in Imizamo Yethu was finished, and then move the more than 900 beneficiaries from the fire-affected area into the new development.

This would open more space for the reblocking to be done, they argued.

Read more on:    cape town  |  housing  |  service delivery  |  local government

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
Watch: Investing in the future through child development

An investment of R32-million into 11 early childhood development centres is changing the future for children in the Northern Cape.

Partner Content
What all investors should know about index investing

Index-linked investments are growing fast in popularity globally, and are growing in size and complexity too.

/World
 

French Bulldog helps kids with facial differences

Lentil Bean is a french bulldog who was born with a severe cleft nose, lip and palate.

 
 

Paws

Weird things dogs do
Makeover saves dog’s life
For the love of Corgis!
Can we communicate with our pets?
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.