Eastern Cape MEC condemns weekend taxi killings

2017-09-05 18:30
(iStock)

(iStock)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Port Elizabeth – The Eastern Cape government on Tuesday condemned taxi industry violence that erupted over the weekend, leaving two dead.

Transport, Safety and Liaison MEC Weziwe Tikana condemned the violence, following reports of the killing of a taxi driver and his companion on Saturday on the R61 between Port St Johns and Lusikisiki.

The two were shot dead and the vehicle set alight.

"Law enforcement officers are working hard to ensure that there is peace in the area and the industry at large. We would like to assure citizens and commuters alike that we will not allow the situation to degenerate to what it was at the beginning of the year," said Tikana.

She said the incident was a result of alleged internal disputes within the Border Alliance Taxi Association (Bata).

Tikana said the association was working closely with the department and the police "in dealing with the matter".

Stern warning

She said, so far, two members of Bata had been fingered as instigators of the latest violence. She said their names had been forwarded to the department.

"In line with the provisions of [a memorandum of understanding] we signed in June, we have written letters to the two operators notifying them of the department's intention to withdraw their licences," said Tikana. 

A peace agreement was signed between Uncedo Service Taxi Association and Bata after violent clashes that resulted in a number of deaths and injuries. Many of the victims were bystanders.

The conflict and subsequent violence resulted in the closing of certain ranks and routes to taxi operations in the affected areas.

A number of interventions led by government, and police-facilitated negotiations between the warring factions, had halted the violence.

Both parties had agreed to stop perpetuating, inciting or encouraging violence against each other, or against any member of Uncedo or Bata.

Tikana issued a stern warning to all taxi operators, saying her department would use all its resources to "ensure the safety and security of the people of the province, including closing down operating routes and public transport facilities (taxi ranks)".

Read more on:    port elizabeth  |  taxi  |  crime

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
Watch: Investing in the future through child development

An investment of R32-million into 11 early childhood development centres is changing the future for children in the Northern Cape.

/Africa
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.