EFF welcomes action on Farlam recommendations

2016-12-13 06:20
(AFP)

(AFP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Johannesburg – The EFF on Monday welcomed the steps being taken by various government departments to implement the Farlam Commission of Inquiry’s recommendations.

The decision to charge some of the police officers involved with murder, attempted murder and/or defeating the ends of justice was a step in the right direction, the party’s spokesperson Mbuyiseni Ndlozi said in a statement.

On Sunday, President Jacob Zuma gave an update on steps various government departments had taken to implement the inquiry's recommendations.

He said most of the claims for loss of support and 275 claims for unlawful arrest and detention had been quantified and were ready to be settled. Settlement of 275 personal injury claims had been delayed as the claimants’ lawyer was still deciding whether to agree to use one set of medical experts, which would help speed the process up.

Ndlozi said efforts to seek accountability would however be futile if Deputy President Cyril Ramaphosa, former police minister Nathi Mthethwa and former mineral resources minister Susan Shabangu were not held accountable for their roles in the shooting.  

On August 16, 2012, police shot dead 34 striking Lonmin miners, in an attempt to disperse and disarm them and end their industrial action. Ten people, including two police officers and two Lonmin security guards, were killed in the preceding week.

Zuma subsequently established a commission of inquiry, chaired by retired judge Ian Farlam, to look into the matter.

Farlam found that no senior government officials, including Lonmin non-executive board member Ramaphosa, were responsible for the shootings.

It however recommended a probe into police commissioner Riah Phiyega's fitness to hold office.

The Claassen Board of Inquiry was set up to do so. The inquiry concluded its hearings on June 3. It announced in November that it would hand its report to Zuma at a date to be determined by him. 

Zuma suspended Phiyega in October last year.

Ndlozi said the trauma the miners and their families had suffered would never be repaired by money.

“To decide what amount is to be paid to them without having including them in the decision-making processes undermines the tragedy and the trauma suffered by the miners and their families in the hands of the ANC government,” he said.

 

Read more on:    lonmin  |  eff  |  marikana commission

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.