Fifth 'cannibal' suspect appears in court earlier than expected

2017-08-24 14:29
The fifth suspect in the "cannibalism" case appeared briefly at the Estcourt Magistrate's Court. (Mxolisi Mngadi, News24)

The fifth suspect in the "cannibalism" case appeared briefly at the Estcourt Magistrate's Court. (Mxolisi Mngadi, News24)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Pietermaritzburg - The fifth suspect in the "cannibalism" case appeared briefly at the Estcourt Magistrate's Court on Wednesday afternoon, a court official said on Thursday.

Khayelihle Lamula, 32, of Esigodlweni area in Estcourt, faces a charge of conspiracy to commit murder and a murder charge.

The media had been told by the police's provincial communications office that he would appear on Thursday, but when they arrived in court they were told that Lamula appeared the previous day.

Also read: Fifth alleged KZN 'cannibal' due in court

Lamula, who was arrested on Tuesday night, appeared before Magistrate Arti Sookraj.

He was remanded in custody until Monday, August 28, for a formal bail application.

He will appear together with his co-accused - traditional healer Nino Mbatha, 32, Sthembiso Sithole, 31, Lindokuhle Masondo, 32, and Lungisani Magubane, 30, who were arrested last Friday after Mbatha confessed to police that he had ate human flesh.

He allegedly walked  into the station with human body parts and "confessed to eating human flesh".

All five of them are accused of the murder of Zanele Hlatshwayo, 25, on August 18 at Rensburg Drift, Estcourt.

A court official, who is not allowed to speak to the media, told News24 that Mbatha is kept at the Pietermaritzburg holding cells because "he wants to confess to both the charges against him".

"He is being kept away from others for his own safety," the official said.

The others are in custody at Estcourt.

The official said they are anticipating a protest outside court on Monday.

"Residents of Esigodlweni are planning to oppose bail in the matter," said the official.

Security would be beefed up.

"Security guards from our head office in Pietermaritzburg will be deployed outside court," the official said.

Hundreds of residents were outside court when Mbatha and the co-accused made their first appearance in court on Monday.

Read more on:    pietermaritzburg  |  courts  |  crime

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
Watch: Investing in the future through child development

An investment of R32-million into 11 early childhood development centres is changing the future for children in the Northern Cape.

/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.