Flat gutted after blaze, unattended candle suspected

2017-07-14 14:37
Rubble is all that remains after a fire gutted one of the apartments at the KwaNgcobo flats on Wednesday night. The flats’ caretaker Henley Sibisi said more safety measures will be implemented to prevent a similar incident in future.

Rubble is all that remains after a fire gutted one of the apartments at the KwaNgcobo flats on Wednesday night. The flats’ caretaker Henley Sibisi said more safety measures will be implemented to prevent a similar incident in future. (Nompilo Kunene)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

A flat near Edendale Hospital was gutted by fire on Wednesday night.

One of the top-floor apartments at the double-storey complex, popularly know as KwaNgcobo, caught fire allegedly after a candle was left unattended.

A resident at the flats, Xolani Sibisi, was the first person who saw the fire and alerted the other residents.

“At around 11 pm I started smelling smoke. I stepped out of my flat and noticed that the entire corridor was engulfed in smoke. I started screaming ‘Fire!’ to wake up everyone,” he said.

Sibisi said there was no one in the burning flat and residents had to break the door down to get in and try to stop the fire from spreading.

The caretaker of the flats, Henley Sibisi, said no one was injured and that the fire department was able to extinguish the blaze before it damaged the neighbouring flats.

“The flat where the fire started is totally gutted, there’s nothing left,” he said.

The caretaker said they were able to establish that the fire was not a result of an electric fault. He said the flat that was set alight was temporarily without electricity.

“I suspect that the fire was sparked by a candle that was left unattended but we will investigate further and put in more safety measures to prevent a similar incident in future,” he said.

Thembelani Sithole, who is also a neighbour to the flat that was gutted, said he and his family had found another place to stay in as their flat was also damaged.

“Our roof is burnt, there is smoke residue on the walls and some of our furniture is damaged.

“We have decided to move out as I have two young children and we cannot continue living in the damaged flat,” said Sithole.

The tenant of the gutted flat was not available for comment. Another resident said she was too traumatised to face other people.


Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
Watch: Investing in the future through child development

An investment of R32-million into 11 early childhood development centres is changing the future for children in the Northern Cape.

Partner Content
What all investors should know about index investing

Index-linked investments are growing fast in popularity globally, and are growing in size and complexity too.

/World
 

For the love of Corgis!

WATCH: 35 Corgi's to make your day! If they’re good enough for the Queen of England they’re good enough for us.

 
 

Paws

Can we communicate with our pets?
8 great natural remedies for your pet
Buying a puppy? Don’t get scammed!
WATCH: These funny animal videos will make you LOL!
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.