Former KZN DG denies rumours he's getting his job back

2016-03-03 17:31

Durban – Former KwaZulu-Natal Director General Nhlanhla Ngidi on Thursday poured cold water on rumours that he had been tipped to get his old job back.

Ngidi was appointed during former premier Zweli Mkhize's administration and his contract lapsed in May 2015. Premier Senzo Mchunu did not renew his contract.

Ngidi said the position was advertised and he did not apply for the job.

"Those are just rumours. I have not communicated anything with the office of the premier, nor has the premier said anything to me.

"I left last year after my contract ended. I did not leave because I did not enjoy my job, I left because the premier did not renew my contract for reasons known to him."

Ngidi said he missed his job and would go back, given the opportunity.

"I thought I was doing a pretty good job at the time."

He said he had since started a consultancy business in the field of investor facilitation.

"But if the government wants my services, I am ready to serve."

At least three sources told News24 that Ngidi had approached the ANC to ask for his job back.

A senior government officia, who asked not to be named, said there was pressure from the ANC in the province to reinstate Ngidi on April 1.

He said it was Mchunu's prerogative to choose the next director-general.

"If [Ngidi] wants his job back, he must apply like everybody else. All I know is that the premier wants a female DG because KZN has never had one."

The source claimed that current KwaZulu-Natal Co-operative Governance and Traditional Affairs HOD Nonhlanhla Qhobosheane was one of the candidates being considered for the position.

A different source said: "[Ngidi] is currently sitting at home. He will take anything that the ANC gives him".

Another said: "It is true, he will tell anyone who listens that he wants a job".

ANC provincial spokesperson Mdumiseni Ntuli said: "I am not aware of any discussion formally or informally to have Ngidi reinstated. Those discussions must be happening... [in] the corridors."

Ntuli said, as far as he was aware, the premier was in the process of appointing a new director general.

Mchunu's spokesperson, Ndabe Sibiya, confirmed that a recruitment processes was underway and asked that it be allowed to go ahead "without any speculation".

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24

Financial advisors – Do you need one and should you get one?

The good, the bad, and everything else you need to know when considering hiring a financial advisor.


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.