Gauteng mental health board suspended

2017-06-27 17:46
Gwen Ramokgopa. (Christopher Moagi, Netwerk24)

Gwen Ramokgopa. (Christopher Moagi, Netwerk24)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Johannesburg - The mental health review board has been suspended pending an investigation of its fitness to hold office, Gauteng Health MEC Gwen Ramokgopa said on Tuesday.

Ramokgopa was delivering her budget in the Gauteng legislature. She said, based on the health ombudsman's recommendations: "The members of the previous board have been suspended and will be subjected to an inquiry on their fitness to hold office."

A new district-based mental health review board, with secretariat support to ensure independence, had already been appointed, she said.

Ramokgopa said the process to appoint a new board was above board. She added that a vetting process had been implemented, criminal background checks, verification of qualifications, and candidates shortlisted.

"I am pleased to announce that appointments have been made after this rigorous process over the last four months."

Outlining her budget, Ramokgopa said she had been allocated R40.2bn, a 1% increase from the previous financial year.

Of this, 60% (R23.8bn) had been set aside for compensation of employees. The rest of the budgeted funds would go towards subsidies and transfers to municipal universities and NPOs, as well as goods and services   

'Going to require a bailout'

She outlined some of her department’s achievements, such as the transformation, modernisation and industrialisation of the five health corridors.

"We continue to be a leader in several health care procedures, such as minimal invasive surgery. We have trained fellows from around the country, and other countries, in this surgical procedure at Dr George Mukhari Academic Hospital for the past three years," she boasted.

Some failings in Ramokgopa's department, however, were identified by the opposition Democratic Alliance, including a failure to clear its supplier debts.

She said the health department was working around the clock to clear accruals and ensure that suppliers were paid and that services were not compromised.

"An amount to the value of R3.5bn has been paid to suppliers since the beginning of the financial year," she said.

The DA's Jack Bloom said the department had been plagued with lawsuits. He said the health department had lost R9bn since 2015 in lawsuits, but that no staff member had been fired.

"This budget is inescapably going to require a bailout," an unimpressed Bloom said.

Read more on:    jack bloom  |  gwen ramokgopa  |  health

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
Watch: Investing in the future through child development

An investment of R32-million into 11 early childhood development centres is changing the future for children in the Northern Cape.

/News
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.