Hawks on alert as 2 ‘terrorists’ prevented from entering SA

2017-01-15 15:01
(Picture: Hawks)

(Picture: Hawks)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Johannesburg - Two suspected terrorists have been prevented from entering South Africa in separate incidents recently, the Hawks said on Sunday.

In the first incident, a suspected extremist, travelling on a United States passport, via Turkey, was stopped at OR Tambo on December 16.

"He was already flagged by Interpol," said Hawks spokesman Hangwani Mulaudzi said on Sunday.

"He was refused entry into the country and taken back to Turkey."

In the second incident, which also took place last month, an Iraqi man tried to fly out of Turkey to South Africa but was refused passage by Turkish authorities. He was subsequently arrested.

"They felt he held extremist views… [according to] their own intelligence."

Mulaudzi said that South African law enforcement was now awaiting an Interpol report on the matter to obtain more detail.

The Sunday Times reported that the Iraqi man was working for the Islamic State and was a bomb maker.

Iraqi ambassador Saad Kindeel was quoted in the newspaper as saying that the man "wasn’t coming to South Africa to recruit for ISIS but to identify a specific target that would later be attacked".

Meanwhile, Mulaudzi told News24 said that South African officials remained vigilant and were also liaising with other law enforcement agencies to mitigate the threats of terrorism.

"South Africa is not immune from these incidents."

He said internal threats of terrorist activity also could not be dismissed.

"We are worried… but we are working around the clock to ensure that if there is any serious threat it is quelled as quickly as possible."

Most recently, in July last year, four people were arrested by officers during anti-terrorist raids carried out in Newclare‚ Florida and Azaadville.

Two of those arrested were granted bail while two brothers allegedly linked to ISIS, Brandon-Lee and Tony-Lee Thulsie, both 24, remain in custody.

Read more on:    hawks  |  terrorists

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.