‘Hit list’ man believes shots fired at house were for him

2016-04-12 10:51
Samwu shop steward Jeffrey Mpulo points to a bullet hole in his driveway after his house was shot at.

Samwu shop steward Jeffrey Mpulo points to a bullet hole in his driveway after his house was shot at. (Ian Carbutt, The Witness)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Pietermaritzburg - The man whose name appeared at number nine on the alleged “Msunduzi hit list”, has survived what he suspects was an assassination attempt when his house was shot at in the early hours of Monday morning.

Jeffrey Mpulo, who was also at the forefront of the marches by Msunduzi municipal workers opposed to the suspension of embattled municipal manager Mxolisi Nkosi, was inundated with calls from friends and colleagues checking how he was doing, as he chatted to The Witness yesterday.

Another group had also gathered at Mpulo’s house, to give him their support.

Mpulo said he had woken up at around 3 am when he heard a shot being fired in his yard.

“They opened fire at the security guard who was patrolling in my yard. When the security guard took cover, they ran away. There were three people but we could not see them clearly because they were standing in the dark,” he said.

Pietermaritzburg police spokesperson Mthokozisi Ngobese confirmed the incident and said police were investigating the matter.

Mpulo said since the killing of the then acting manager of public safety in the Msunduzi traffic department, Superintendent Pumla “Joe” Dlamini, he has survived “numerous” attacks.

Dlamini, who was number eight on the list, was gunned down in his Washington Road office earlier this year, allegedly by Sifiso Ernest Hlengwa.

“Even on the day that comrade Joe was killed, [Hlengwa] came to my house to ask where I was. My wife told him that I was not at the house, but he did not believe her, so my wife told him that he must phone me.

“I was in Durban on that day. When he phoned me, I asked him why he killed Joe because I had already heard what he had done. He just hung up the phone,” he said.

Mpulo said he had hired a private security company because he no longer feels safe.

“I am being hunted like a wild animal. Even my children are worried about me. When I am not at home, my children keep on phoning me now and then to check if I am still okay.”

Mpulo reiterated the group’s stance that there was a purge in the municipality of those who had supported the failed bid to have Premier Senzo Mchunu re-elected as the ANC provincial chairperson last year.

The claims have been refuted by both the ANC provincial secretary Super Zuma and regional secretary Mzi Zuma.

However, Mpulo insisted that those who did not support the incumbent chairperson Sihle Zikalala, are being pushed out.

Mpulo said he will continue to stand for what he believes is right.

“The main problem is that we were supporting the placements, absorption of temporary workers and filling of all vacant posts in the municipality which Nkosi had also supported,” he said

• sabelo.nsele@witness.co.za

What is the Msunduzi hit list?

IT is a leaked “hit list” targeting people “against corruption”, including high-profile city leaders, which was distributed via social networks.

It has 15 names on it, including senior city officials, city political office bearers, Mkhonto we Sizwe military veterans, traffic officers, municipal union leaders, Correctional Service employees, ANC Youth League members and VIP protection officers who reside or work in the uMgungundlovu District.

The regional ANC leadership handed the list to police, who yesterday said the matter was still under investigation.In January, The Witness revealed the existence of the alleged hit list targeting people “against corruption”, including high-profile city leaders.

The list was distributed via social networks. It has 15 names on it including senior city officials, city political office bearers, Mkhonto we Sizwe military veterans, traffic officers, municipal union leaders, Correctional Service employees, ANC Youth League members and VIP protection officers who reside or work in the uMgungundlovu District. At the base of the list is written “Rest in peace Cde Dlamini” referring to Superintendent Pumla “Joe” Dlamini, who was the acting manager of public safety in the Msunduzi traffic department.

Read more on:    pietermaritzburg  |  shooting

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24

 
PARTNER CONTENT
INFOGRAPHIC: New thinking required for retirement

Everything we believe about retirement is fast becoming outdated.

PARTNER CONTENT
WATCH: How education can change a life

A university education gives students the chance to create a better future for themselves, their families and to opportunity achieve their dreams.

/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.