Hlaudi Motsoeneng fails to show up for court case

2017-08-15 12:02
Hlaudi Motsoeneng (Jenni Evans, News24)

Hlaudi Motsoeneng (Jenni Evans, News24)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Johannesburg - Former SABC COO Hlaudi Motsoeneng failed to appear in the Labour Court in Johannesburg on Tuesday to answer as to why he should not be held personally liable for the wrongful dismissal of the SABC8 journalists.

No reasons were given on why Motsoeneng failed to present himself to the court.

The court also heard that attorneys from Ningiza Horner who were representing the SABC, Motsoeneng and former head of news Simon Tebele, withdrew on Friday.

Tebele, who said he was surprised by the attorneys’ decision to withdraw, asked for a postponement due to poor health.

"I was in hospital from May to July and I went through a seven hours operation. Even now I am still recuperating from heavy pain – yesterday I received an SMS indicating that the court case is today [Tuesday]," he said.

He also said he didn't have time to brief his new attorney.

Judge David Gush, presiding over the matter, postponed it to September 6.

READ: Hlaudi Motsoeneng expected in labour court

Internal disciplinary hearing

In July 2016, the late Suna Venter, Foeta Krige, Krivani Pillay, Thandeka Gqubule, Busisiwe Ntuli, Lukhanyo Calata, Vuyo Mvoko and Jacques Steenkamp were fired by the SABC for speaking out against Motsoeneng's policy of no longer airing footage of violent protests.

Seven of the eight journalists were subsequently re-hired following a High Court ruling.

Motsoeneng was removed as COO after the Supreme Court of Appeal in September last year rejected his bid to appeal the Western Cape High Court’s November 2015 ruling, declaring his appointment irrational and setting it aside.

In June, the SABC announced Motsoeneng’s dismissal after he was found guilty by an internal disciplinary hearing where charges of bringing the SABC into disrepute and causing irreparable damage to his employer were investigated.

The internal disciplinary committee found that he lied about his qualifications, that he purged the SABC of staff and promoted people and raised salaries without following the correct procedures.

Read more on:    sabc  |  hlaudi motsoeneng  |  johannesburg  |  labour  |  media

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
Watch: Investing in the future through child development

An investment of R32-million into 11 early childhood development centres is changing the future for children in the Northern Cape.

/News
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.