Hundreds arrested in nationwide police crackdown

2017-09-17 12:04
(iStock)

(iStock)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Johannesburg - Hundreds of robbers and hijackers have been arrested and dozens of firearms and stolen and hijacked vehicles seized since June in a crackdown of these crimes, police said on Sunday.

“Three business robbery suspects aged between 29 and 43 years… were swiftly arrested a day after they had committed a robbery at Telkom, Wonder Park Mall in Pretoria,” said Brigadier Vishnu Naidoo in a statement.

“The police confiscated suspected stolen goods, unlicensed firearms and ammunition, a jamming device and recovered a hijacked vehicle which was suspected to have been used to commit the robbery.”

Naidoo said that this speedy arrest was a result of intensified interventions to combat the prevention and investigation of house robberies, business robberies and hijackings. Over the period of June to August this year, 307 suspects have been arrested, 43 firearms confiscated, 209 rounds of ammunition were seized and 88 stolen or hijacked vehicles were recovered.

“The teams in Gauteng, Western Cape, Eastern Cape and KwaZulu-Natal… have worked tirelessly and in so doing, made notable strides during a three month period.”

Meanwhile, KwaZulu-Natal police reported the arrest of three alleged house robbers on Saturday.

Lieutenant Colonel Thulani Zwane said that Gingindlovu police were conducting a roadblock between Eshowe and Gingindlovu roads when they spotted a BMW which had been taken during a house robbery in the Utrecht area that day.

The police stopped the vehicle.

“Three occupants jumped out and attempted to flee the scene. One of them allegedly fired shots at the members and the members retaliated and returned fire wounding him in his leg.”

All three suspects were arrested. The injured suspect was taken to hospital under police guard.

Four unlicensed firearms were seized, as well as some of the items stolen during the house robbery.

The suspects – who are believed to be behind the robbery of an 80-year-old man at his Utrecht home – are due in the Mthunzini Magistrate’s Court on Monday.

The alleged robbers tied up the elderly victim and looted his house of cash, jewellery, cellphones and the BMW.

Acting Provincial Commissioner of KwaZulu-Natal, Major General Bheki Langa praised his police officers for the quick arrest: “The arrested suspects will be profiled and establish if they are not wanted for other similar cases in the province.”

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.