I made every reasonable effort to comply - Dlamini tells ConCourt

2017-03-14 16:24
Welfare Minister Bathabile Dlamini. (Netwerk24)

Welfare Minister Bathabile Dlamini. (Netwerk24)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Johannesburg - Social Development Minister Bathabile Dlamini has told the Constitutional Court that she made "every reasonable effort" to comply with the directive of the court to respond to its questions. 

She said she deposed an affidavit in the matter, in which she confirmed what was set out in the affidavit of former acting Sassa CEO Wiseman Magasela. 

"That affidavit was made in response to the Chief Justice's directions of 8 March 2017," she said. 

Dlamini said the affidavit was delivered after the 16:00 deadline set by the ConCourt in its initial directive. 

"The reason for this is explained in the affidavit deposed by the Sassa attorney of record, Mr Timothy Mandla Sukazi, in support of an application for condonation that to the best of my knowledge was delivered this morning," she said in Tuesday's affidavit. 

"I respectfully state that I have made every reasonable effort to comply with this court's directions."

Also read: We have never failed grant recipients - Dlamini

Lawyers for Sassa and Dlamini were late on Tuesday to submit their response to a new directive by the Constitutional Court on why they missed a previous deadline to respond to questions by the court.

Two lawyers ran into the Constitutional Court at 15:11 to submit two thick files of documents to the registrar.

When asked what they were there for by a security guard, they said they wanted to submit Sassa documents.

The court said earlier in its new directive that the previous acting CEOs of Sassa Thamo Mzobe and Magasela and Dlamini were directed to file affidavits by 15:00 on Tuesday on why the directions by Chief Justice Mogoeng Mogoeng were not complied with. 

The court sent Dlamini and the grants agency a set of stern questions on March 8. They were given a deadline of Monday 16:00 to make the submission, which Dlamini and Sassa failed to meet. 

The department instead filed heads of arguments on Monday and a proposed draft order. 

Magasela said in his affidavit on Tuesday that during the four days he was acting CEO when current CEO Thokozani Magwaza was sick, and on Monday, he also "made every reasonable effort to comply with this court's directions". 

"I believe that minister did as well... I know she did depose an affidavit yesterday dealing with the matters set out in the [initial] directions."

Read more on:    sassa  |  constitutional court  |  bathabile dlamini  |  politics

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.