'Jacob Zuma must step down' - Durban protesters

2017-04-07 11:02

Durban – Residents of Durban woke up on Friday morning to the sight of two massive anti-Zuma banners on a four-storey building on busy Matthews Meyiwa Road (formerly Stamford Hill Road), a short distance away from the starting point of a march that is part of nationwide demonstrations against President Jacob Zuma planned for Friday.

- Follow the Live Update here.

One banner reads "#Zuma and Gupta's self-enrichment days are over! Stop Zuma [sic]" and the other "Jacob Zuma must step down".

Entrepreneur Arthur Lambouris, one of the owners of the building, said he did not know who had put them up.

"I heard whispers about the banners. But there are a number of tenants in the building.

"But I won't do anything to take them down.


Two massive anti-Zuma banners on a four-storey building in Durban. (Photo: Supplied)

"Frankly I couldn't agree more with the sentiment expressed. South Africans across the board want efficient and clean government to alleviate poverty and grow the economy, not the looting going on now."

Last year, Lambouris and other business owners in the area – a precinct of factory shops – went to the Durban High Court and successfully forced the eThekwini municipality to properly police and clean up the area, which had become a haven for vagrants.

He argued that he was paying almost R1m a year in rates and that the council was shirking its responsibility.

Marches divide city

Early on Friday morning, the city was quiet – quieter than usual.

Thousands were expected to take part in two opposing marches, one led by the DA which will start at the Old Durban Drive-In Site and proceed to the beachfront; and the other, led by the ANC Youth League, which is expected to take place in the city centre.

Both marches have been sanctioned by the metro police.

- Are you taking part? Send us your eyewitness accounts and photos.

On Thursday, the DA secured an interdict against Mayor Zandile Gumede after it was reported that she had said in a radio interview that the anti-Zuma marches amounted to treason.

The comments were reported in a tweet by the SABC.

Gumede has denied making any such remarks.

A local newspaper reported on Friday morning that, in an audio clip, Gumede is heard saying: "These marches that are not legalised are uncalled for. For me, as the mayor of eThekwini, I will tell the community to refrain from these nasty marches because if you want to march you know that you must follow proper channels."

Read more on:    jacob zuma  |  durban  |  protests  |  cabinet reshuffle

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
Watch: Investing in the future through child development

An investment of R32-million into 11 early childhood development centres is changing the future for children in the Northern Cape.

/Africa
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.