Jayde Panayiotou: Latest suspect makes brief appearance

2016-07-19 10:52
Jayde Panayiotou. (Facebook)

Jayde Panayiotou. (Facebook)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Port Elizabeth - In another twist in the ongoing investigation into the murder of Jayde Panayiotou in April last year, a new suspect made a brief appearance in the Port Elizabeth Magistrate's Court on Tuesday.

Zolani Sibeko, 35, appeared briefly in front of Magistrate Este Petzer in court 27 after being arrested at his mother's home in St Albans on Sunday.

State prosecutor Marius Stander said at the time of his arrest, Sibeko had insisted that his surname was Roko.

Stander said Sibeko was up on charges of conspiracy to commit murder, murder, and abduction.

He also indicated that the State would be opposing bail as Sibeko was charged with a schedule 6 offence, and also had an arrest warrant out on him for another matter.

Sibeko has been linked to the conspiracy to murder Jayde, after a month-long investigation - which included cellphone plotting - showed that he had been with co-accused Sizwezakhe Vumazonke, 30, and Sinethemba Nenembe, 29, at least once while they were monitoring the route she travelled to work.

Cellphone plotting also showed that Sibeko was with Vumazonke and Nenembe outside Jayde's Stellen Glen complex in Kabega Park just five days before she was abducted, forced into the boot of a hired vehicle, taken to remote area behind Kwanobuhle and murdered.

Jayde’s husband, Christopher Panayiotou, 29, was arrested shortly after her murder last year. He is accused of orchestrating the murder of his wife.

The State alleged that Panayiotou approached a bouncer who worked for him - Luthando Siyoni - to hire a hitman.

Siyoni has since turned State witness. Vumazonke was arrested shortly afterwards, and is believed to be the hitman. In October last year, Nenembe was linked to the case and also arrested.

Sibeko's attorney was not present in court on Tuesday, and the matter was postponed to Friday, July 22. Stander indicated that the matter would then be referred to the High Court, along with the other accused, who will be making their first appearance next week. 

Read more on:    jayde panayiotou  |  christopher panayiotou  |  port elizabeth  |  crime

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
PARTNER CONTENT
INFOGRAPHIC: New thinking required for retirement

Everything we believe about retirement is fast becoming outdated.

PARTNER CONTENT
WATCH: How education can change a life

A university education gives students the chance to create a better future for themselves, their families and to opportunity achieve their dreams.

/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.