Krejcir sentenced to 35 years in prison

2016-02-23 16:12
Radovan Krejcir. (Jenni Evans, News24)

Radovan Krejcir. (Jenni Evans, News24)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Pretoria - Czech fugitive Radovan Krejcir has been sentenced to 35 years in jail by the High Court in Johannesburg on Tuesday.

Sentencing proceedings were stalled on Monday after a bomb threat was called in to the court building on Monday afternoon, in a day where the Krejcir represented himself in court.

On Tuesday, Johannesburg High Court Judge Colin Lamont rejected all three applications made by the Czech fugitive.

The first was to have the shackles on his hands and feet removed. Krejcir's second application was for Lamont to hand down an order that he be allowed to call witnesses to testify in mitigation of his sentencing.

His third application was that a psychiatrist, psychologist and criminologist testify about his mental, physical and emotional state.

"I applied countless times to not be in solitary confinement, especially as a depression patient," he had said.

Lamont told him to "do his best" to try and get the witnesses, but dismissed all three applications.

Judge murder plot reports

On August 24 2015, Krejcir was convicted of attempted murder, kidnapping and dealing in drugs.

The matter related to the kidnapping and torture of Bheki Lukhele, whose brother, Doctor, had allegedly disappeared with 25kg of tik.

He has attempted multiple prison escape attempts since his arrest.

The Star newspaper last week reported on an alleged plot by Krejcir to kill high court Judge Colin Lamont.

The paper said Krejcir had apparently hired a European hitman who had allegedly tried to visit Krejcir in Kokstad C-Max in December to hatch a plan for the assassinations, but officials prevented this.

"A top cop had rushed to the Kokstad maximum security facility the following day and demanded all the video footage showing the faces of visitors, claiming he was going to investigate the matter," The Star reported. 

On Thursday, Hawks national spokesperson Brigadier Hangwani Mulaudzi told News24 the hawks were one step ahead of Krejcir.

"We are not aware of the alleged plot by Krejcir, but we do take these allegations seriously and we will be investigating. We have remained a step ahead in this investigation," he said responding to the report in The Star.

Read more on:    radovan krejcir  |  johannesburg  |  crime

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
PARTNER CONTENT
INFOGRAPHIC: New thinking required for retirement

Everything we believe about retirement is fast becoming outdated.

/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.