'KZN Premier axed over staff numbers' - source

2016-05-20 20:34
(Amanda Khoza, News24)

(Amanda Khoza, News24)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Durban - KwaZulu-Natal Premier Senzo Mchunu has been given until Monday morning to hand in his resignation, a senior government official told News24 on Friday evening.

Mchunu was called into a meeting at the party's provincial offices in Durban on Friday and was told he had been axed, said the source, who works in the Premier's office and did not want to be named for fear of reprisal.

"He was told that he bloated the staff at the office of the premier from 300 to 500. Social Development MEC Weziwe Thusi also said he was interfering with her job. That is why he was axed."

Attempts to reach Thusi failed.

The source said current Transport MEC Willies Mchunu would replace Mchunu and be sworn in on Tuesday.

Calls to Willies Mchunu went unanswered. Senzo Mchunu also failed to respond to queries.

The ANC in the province could not be reached for comment.

The source said the provincial cabinet was expected to be reshuffled on Tuesday.

Education MEC Peggy Nkonyeni would apparently be replaced by Nomagugu Simelani Zulu; Economic Development, Tourism and Environmental Affairs MEC Mike Mabuyakhulu by ANC chair Sihle Zikalala; and Agriculture and Rural Development MEC Cyril Xaba by Mthandeni Dlungwana.

Arts and Culture MEC Sabhidla Saphetha would be replaced by former Umgungundlovu District Mayor Bongi Sithole, and Mxolisi Kawunda would be appointed transport MEC.

"Our standing policy as the office of the Premier is that we don't comment on matters of deployment," Mchunu's spokesperson, Ndabezinhle Sibiya, told News24 earlier on Friday.

Calls to Nkonyeni went unanswered.

Economic development and tourism spokesperson Boyce Mntambo said: “I am just an official. I suggest you contact the ANC leadership or the chair herself.”

Agriculture and rural development spokesperson Lelethu Manetsa said nothing had been reported to him about Xaba's replacement.

Arts and culture spokesperson Mluleki Mntungwa said he did not comment on such matters.

Read more on:    anc  |  senzo mchunu  |  durban

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
PARTNER CONTENT
INFOGRAPHIC: New thinking required for retirement

Everything we believe about retirement is fast becoming outdated.

PARTNER CONTENT
WATCH: How education can change a life

A university education gives students the chance to create a better future for themselves, their families and to opportunity achieve their dreams.

/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.