Man who tried to rob Western Cape MEC was 'so polite'

2017-09-12 19:28
Albert Fritz. (Edrea du Toit, Netwerk24, file)

Albert Fritz. (Edrea du Toit, Netwerk24, file)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Cape Town - One of the men accused of robbing Western Cape Social Development MEC Albert Fritz and his colleague at gunpoint accosted the men in a "polite" manner, the Athlone Magistrate's Court heard on Tuesday.

"Thanks, I will have that," Xolisa Baba allegedly told Western Cape government spokesperson Sihle Ngobese while taking his phone from him last month. 

He said he felt two fingers on his phone as it was pressed against his ear.

"He was so polite," said Ngobese, speaking outside the court following baba's brief appearance. He faces a charge of aggravated robbery.

Both Fritz and Ngobese were sitting in a car, waiting to speak at a youth event in Nyanga on August 12, when a man approached them, demanding they hand over their cellphones.

Crime awareness display

Ngobese said at the time he thought the approach was some sort of crime awareness display because the man had what looked like a gun pointing out of his pocket. However, when the man pulled out a knife, Ngobese said he realised they were in trouble.

Another man, Yonwaba Mantashe, approached them and pulled out a gun, firing shots at the delegation.

Fritz sought cover in the back of the vehicle, while one of the bodyguards threw a cellphone onto the ground as a distraction.

This gave him time to unholster his weapon and fire back.

"Twenty-six shots all in all were fired," said Ngobese.

He managed to pull Fritz out of the car and drove him to Nyanga police station to safety, while the bodyguards attempted to restrain the shooter.

READ: Suspect shot dead after robbing Western Cape MEC Albert Fritz

Mantashe was killed during the exchange, which left Baba injured.

During his court appearance, Baba walked slowly into the dock, looking into the gallery seemingly for a familiar face.

He abandoned his bail application and will remain in custody until his next court appearance on October 20. DNA evidence was also still outstanding, the court heard.

Read more on:    albert fritz  |  cape town  |  crime

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
Watch: Investing in the future through child development

An investment of R32-million into 11 early childhood development centres is changing the future for children in the Northern Cape.

/Africa
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.