Marius Fransman reinstated as ANC Western Cape leader

2016-07-21 16:14
Marius Fransman (Sharief Jaffer, Foto24)

Marius Fransman (Sharief Jaffer, Foto24)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Johannesburg - Western Cape African National Congress leader Marius Fransman is back in his job after being suspended for alleged sexual harassment, a party official said on Thursday.

"He is here, he is working. He is back as the party leader. Nothing has changed," ANC head of elections Nomvula Mokonyane told News24, before she ended the call.

Fransman had been accused of sexually harassing 21-year-old Louisa Wynand while they were travelling to the party's January 8 celebrations in Rustenburg.

The City Press newspaper previously reported that the ANC’s integrity commission found Fransman had brought the ANC into disrepute. This was according to a report the commission had compiled and which was leaked to the newspaper.

WATCH: I was scared out of my mind - Fransman accuser

- Find everything you need to know about the 2016 Local Government Elections at our News24 Elections site, including the latest news and detailed, interactive maps for how South Africa has voted over the past 3 elections, or download the app for iOS and Android.

The commission recommended that Fransman immediately step down from all elected positions in the party.

Fransman earlier told News24 that he had not received any notification from the integrity commission that its report had been completed. He said the leak of the report was an "outrageous breach" of ANC protocol and had tarnished the party’s image.

"I didn't expect this from an internal structure of the organisation that is supposed to uphold the organisational protocols," he said.

He called on the commission to provide him with its findings.

The sexual harassment case against Fransman was sent to the Northern Cape's Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP), after the DPP in North West decided not to proceed with the case, due to insufficient evidence.

The Northern Cape DPP had some queries, and had sent the docket back to the investigating officer.
National Prosecuting Authority spokesperson Luvuyo Mfaku said on Thursday that they had not yet received the docket back from the investigating officer.


Read more on:    anc  |  marius fransman  |  politics

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
There's an app for that: how apps have changed us

"There's an app for that" is more than just Apple's marketing mantra. Mobile apps have emerged over the last 10 years or so for practically every need in a person's day and changed our lives.

/News
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.