Marli van Breda asks not to be made available to brother's defence team, court hears

2017-09-18 17:07
Murder accused Henri van Breda. (Jaco Marais, Gallo Images, Beeld)

Murder accused Henri van Breda. (Jaco Marais, Gallo Images, Beeld)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Video

WATCH LIVE: Van Breda trial, day 40

2017-09-18 11:42

Henri van Breda is due back in the Western Cape High Court on Monday where he stands accused of axing his parents and brother to death, seriously injuring his sister Marli, and defeating the ends of justice.WATCH

Cape Town - Marli van Breda has indicated to the State that she would not want to be made available to the defence, the Western Cape High Court heard on Monday.

Prosecutor Susan Galloway told Judge Desai that the teenager, who along with her triple murder accused brother Henri Van Breda were the only survivors of the 2015 De Zalze axe attacks, had made this request.

Marli was on the State's witness list, but was not called as she had not regained her memory.

She was 16 at the time of the attack and sustained severe head wounds and a severed jugular. After being hospitalised for six weeks, she was treated at a rehabilitation centre.

She has retrograde amnesia and cannot recall anything about the attack.

She and Henri saw each other again six months after the murders.

ALSO READ: No evidence Henri van Breda stood in his brother’s blood, defence argues

Following his arrest last June, her legal representative and curator Louise Buikman said the news had been "very distressing" to Marli.

The Western Cape High Court ruled that although she is legally an adult, Buikman would continue to oversee matters concerning her.

She had not been seen at court since the start of Henri's trial.

Van Breda, 22, pleaded not guilty to axing his parents and brother to death, seriously injuring Marli and defeating the ends of justice.

He alleged that an intruder wearing a balaclava, gloves and dark clothes was behind the attack, and that he had heard other voices of people speaking Afrikaans in their home in the De Zalze Estate in Stellenbosch in January 2015.

Van Breda claimed that, after a fight with the axe-wielding intruder who was also armed with a knife, the man had escaped.

Proceedings resume on Thursday.

Read more on:    henri van breda  |  cape town  |  courts

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
ADVERTORIAL
Competition regulation for a growing and inclusive economy

ADVERTORIAL: The Competition Commission of South Africa is conducting advocacy work in the South African automotive aftermarket industry and has gazetted a Draft Code of Conduct for public comment.

/News
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.