MEC condemns killing of another KZN councillor

2016-12-02 13:58

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Durban – A KwaZulu-Natal MEC has condemned the killing of an Umuziwabantu Local Municipality councillor and fears public representatives in the area are being targeted. 

"We are deeply concerned that Umuziwabantu is becoming a hotspot for the killing of councillors and is becoming a place where no elected public representative is now safe," Co-operative Governance and Traditional Affairs (Cogta) MEC Nomusa Dube-Ncube said on Friday.

ANC Ward 3 councillor Ace Houston was shot on Thursday night while addressing a community meeting on housing-related matters in the presence of up to 60 residents.

He died on the scene, while a community member was wounded and is in critical condition in hospital.

An apparently unknown assailant was behind the shooting.

Last month, another South Coast councillor, Thembinkosi Zoleka, popularly known as "Commando", was gunned down at his home in Philips Road at Margate Extension 3 while he slept.

"This senseless violence on public representatives must stop and law enforcement agencies must restore order and peace in this municipality without delay," Dube-Ncube said on Friday.

Call for information

She extended her condolences to Houston's family and the community.

Dube-Ncube called on law enforcement "to bring the perpetrators of this heinous crime to book".

"Members of the public are urged to come forward with any information that may lead to apprehending those responsible," she said.

Dube-Ncube added that local government institutions could not function "optimally" in an atmosphere of "fear and under constant threat of political violence".

"We are urging all political parties, civil society organisation and the community to play an active role in instilling discipline and in fostering a climate of peace in our municipalities," she said.

Hawks spokesperson Captain Simphiwe Mhlongo confirmed the shooting of Houston, saying they were investigating a case of murder.

"It is alleged that a 58-year-old male was fatally shot by an unknown suspect. Another 31-year-old male was injured during the shooting. The motive of the killing is unknown and no arrest has been made at this stage."

Read more on:    anc  |  durban  |  crime

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/South Africa

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.