M&G to discuss banning of journalist with ANC

2016-01-07 17:25
Carien du Plessis

Carien du Plessis

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Johannesburg - The Mail & Guardian says it will contact the ANC to discuss the ruling party's decision to ban journalist Carien du Plessis after she referred to people attending the ANC's 104th anniversary celebration as "pantypreneurs and tenderpreneurs" in a tweet.

The event is taking place at the weekend in Rustenburg.

"Carien has apologised for the tweet. We will contact the ANC to discuss their decision," said M&G editor Verashni Pillay.

Pillay's comment comes after the ANC announced that it would ban Du Plessis from attending the event.

ANC spokesperson Zizi Kodwa said the party had decided to withdraw her accreditation, saying it was unfortunate for a person who came from such a profession to make that sort of remark.

"But it means within the media there are racists like her who harbour hatred towards black people [and the ANC]."

Du Plessis told News24 that the ANC had not contacted her and that she was not aware of the ANC's decision.

Earlier on Thursday, Du Plessis took a photo of the News Cafe in Rustenburg with the caption, "Seems Rusty News Cafe will be a choice hangout for pantypreneurs and tenderpreneurs at this weekend's #ANC104 bash".

The term "pantypreneur" is believed to be an insulting reference to women who use sex to gain favour with the political elite.

Du Plessis was in Rustenburg covering the ANC's January 8th statement as a freelancer for the Mail & Guardian.

Kodwa accused Du Plessis of being a racist because the majority of people who attended ANC events were black.

"It does not only undermine, but dehumanises women particularly those who attend... ANC events and majority of them are black and therefore her remarks are racist.

"We take offence to such derogatory and racist remarks... She has never said these things about women who attend DA events."

Du Plessis referred News24 to her apology on Twitter in response to the ANC's claim that she was a racist.

She apologised after receiving criticism on the social networking site for her comment.

Even EFF deputy president Floyd Shivambu responded to Du Plessis tweet, saying: "That's sexism of the worst sexism Carien! You must withdraw that statement."

Shivambu and Du Plessis had a run-in in 2012 when the then-ANC Youth League spokesperson called her a "white bitch".

Shivambu apologised to Du Plessis after a settlement was reached in a court case against him.

Read more on:    anc  |  politics  |  media

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
Traffic
Horoscopes
Aquarius
Aquarius

Your innovative and intuitive side is extra strong today. Catch those flash ideas and jot them down while they are fresh. Avoid...read more

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.