More arrests as George housing protest remains volatile

2017-09-13 11:22
Mass evictions happening in an area in George in an operation conducted by Cape Town Red Ants. (Supplied)

Mass evictions happening in an area in George in an operation conducted by Cape Town Red Ants. (Supplied)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Cape Town - Two more women were arrested as disgruntled Thembalethu residents blocked streets on Wednesday morning after shacks were demolished in the area, Southern Cape police said.

This followed the arrests of three women and a man for public violence on Tuesday.

The Western Cape human settlements department had on Tuesday enforced a court order allowing it to demolish 87 illegal structures on land intended for future housing projects.

READ: 4 arrested for public violence after shacks demolished in George

On Wednesday, 300 people blocked the main entrance to the Thembalethu and the N2 with burning tyres and debris around 02:00, said Captain Malcolm Pojie.

Commuters were prevented from going to work and traffic had to be diverted through town.

"There was some pelting of rocks and road surfaces were damaged. We had to use rubber bullets to disperse the crowd," Pojie said.

Volatile

He said the situation remained volatile.

The closure of the roads and Thembalethu bridge had prevented Go George bus staff members and drivers from arriving at work. The municipality said this would affect service delivery.

Most of the main bus routes were covered but delays could be expected on routes 3, 58 and 13.

The N2 at Pacaltsdorp was re-opened just before 10:00.

George Municipality spokesperson Chantel Edwards-Klose said a memorandum would be handed to the Deputy Mayor Gerrit Pretorius at the Conville community hall on Wednesday morning.

The demolished structures were built on land which the human settlements department had set aside for mixed-use development.

Over 4 000 "housing opportunities" would be delivered in the area as part of the Upgrading of Informal Settlements Programme, said department spokesperson Nathan Adriaanse.

The first phase, consisting of 1 750 housing opportunities was already complete and beneficiaries had taken occupation.

The invaded area formed part of the second phase.

Head of Human Settlements Implementation in the department, Phila Mayisela, said the invasion of land would delay the housing project and affect many beneficiaries who had been waiting patiently for houses.

The four arrested for public violence will appear in the Thembalethu Magistrate's Court later on Wednesday.

Read more on:    george  |  housing  |  service delivery  |  protests

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
Watch: Investing in the future through child development

An investment of R32-million into 11 early childhood development centres is changing the future for children in the Northern Cape.

/News
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.