Cape Town – US hip hop artist and actor Mos Def made a
lightning quick appearance in the Bellville Magistrate’s Court on Tuesday for
allegedly contravening immigration laws.
Donning a purple headscarf and dark loose clothing, he
leaned on the dock as the State requested a postponement so it could finalise
its investigation.
The court heard two statements were outstanding.
The celebrity’s lawyer, Shahied Schreuder, did not oppose
the postponement.
The artist, who is out on bail, would return to court on
March 24.
Mos Def, born Dante Terrell Smith, and now known as Yasiin
Bey, was arrested in January after he attempted to leave Cape Town with an
unrecognised "world passport".
Immigration officials at Cape Town International Airport
declined to accept the document, said home affairs spokesperson Mayihlome
Tshwete.
According to Bey, he had been able to enter and exit the
country previously, using the document.
Schreuder previously told News24 it was important to promote
the country to the arts and culture, film, and performing sectors.
"Many more international celebrities are looking at
South Africa as a destination of choice for retirement and business, etcetera,
and we need to encourage that.”
It was hoped the matter could be resolved amicably, he said
at the time.