Msunduzi Contract workers picket to expose ‘lie’

2016-09-08 12:15
 Regional chairperson of the Municipal and Allied Trade Union of South Africa, Nduduzo Madiba walks in front of the workers who staged a picket outside the city hall on Wednesday

Regional chairperson of the Municipal and Allied Trade Union of South Africa, Nduduzo Madiba walks in front of the workers who staged a picket outside the city hall on Wednesday (Sabelo Nsele)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

The new Municipal and Allied Trade Union of South Africa has taken aim at Msunduzi Municipality over the issue of temporary workers.

The union was formed in September and is affiliated with the unions that broke away from Cosatu. About 100 temporary workers staged a picket outside the city hall on Wednesday, accusing the municipality of lying about the 100% absorption of its temporary workers.

The union’s regional chairperson, Nduduzo Madiba, said there were still over 1 000 workers employed as temporary workers, including 200 from the Expanded Public Works Programme.

Madiba said some of the union’s members who were intitially absorbed by the municipality had since had their appointments reversed.

“They had worked, were paid and had started opening accounts because they thought they could afford things as they had been hired permanently. All of a sudden, they got letters telling them that the strategic management committee had taken a resolution to withdraw their appointment. They said it had been a mistake that they were hired in the first place. Now they are left with these accounts and they do not know how they are going to pay them,” he said.

Msunduzi spokesperson Thobeka Mafumbatha said she could not comment on the matter of those workers whose contracts were withdrawn, saying the matter was currently being discussed at the bargaining council. She confirmed the municipality had absorbed 1 052 contract workers on July 1, but said some contract workers who were employed under the Expanded Public Works Programme and who were covered by a specific ministerial determination “remain as contract workers”.

Read more on:    pietermaritzburg  |  contract workers protest

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24

 
PARTNER CONTENT
INFOGRAPHIC: New thinking required for retirement

Everything we believe about retirement is fast becoming outdated.

PARTNER CONTENT
WATCH: How education can change a life

A university education gives students the chance to create a better future for themselves, their families and to opportunity achieve their dreams.

/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.