Muthambi heading to court to contest SABC inquiry report

2017-03-10 13:00
Faith Muthambi in Parliament. (Paul Herman/News24)

Faith Muthambi in Parliament. (Paul Herman/News24)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Cape Town – Communications Minister Faith Muthambi will go to court to contest Parliament's SABC inquiry report, the ministry has said.

"I can confirm that the ministry intends to take the ad hoc committee report for a judicial review," ministry spokesperson Mish Molakeng told News24 on Friday.

Molakeng did not want to comment further on the matter, saying the minister's reasons would be made known once the process officially got underway.

The Star reported on Friday that Muthambi had written an explosive letter to Speaker Baleka Mbete to say she was taking the "irrational and unlawful" ad hoc committee report on review.

Muthambi reportedly wrote that she felt "ambushed" by the process, and that her constitutional rights had been violated.

She wanted the implementation of the inquiry's recommendations halted until the court makes a ruling, the report read.

Ad hoc committee dissolved

Ad hoc committee chairperson Vincent Smith told News24 that he was not aware of the letter, or Muthambi's intentions.

He said that the ad hoc committee had now been dissolved, and thus only the Speaker had the authority to speak on the matter.

Parliament's spokesperson Moloto Mothapo said they had been alerted to the reported letter through the media, but could not confirm if Parliament had received it officially.

He said it would be made public if it was received, and when the Speaker's office had processed it.

 - READ MORE: Parliament adopts SABC inquiry report

On Tuesday, Parliament formally adopted the report of the ad hoc committee looking into the SABC board.

The report referred Muthambi to Parliament's ethics committee to investigate her role in amending the SABC board's memorandum of incorporation, as well as in the appointment of Hlaudi Motsoeneng to then-chief operating officer in July 2014.

It also recommended to President Jacob Zuma that he reconsider Muthambi's desirability to continue leading the department.

Only the United Democratic Movement opposed its adoption, citing the committee's decision not to invite Motsoeneng to provide evidence as its reason.

 - FOLLOW Paul Herman on Twitter

Read more on:    sabc  |  faith muthambi  |  cape town  |  politics  |  media

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.