Nehawu condemns Zuma, Cabinet for lack of consultation on ICC withdrawal

2016-12-08 19:04
Nehawu logo

Nehawu logo

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Johannesburg - The decision to withdraw from the International Criminal Court (ICC) should be left to Parliament, the National Education Health and Allied Workers' Union (Nehawu) said on Thursday, condemning the executive. 

"That thing must be done properly so that there are no issues, we are condemning it. It's important that we follow the processes that are here," said Nehawu president Mzwandile Makwayiba, referring to the executive's notice to unbind the country with the ICC. 

Makwayiba told journalists that President Jacob Zuma and his Cabinet should have realised that they had made a mistake and should have consulted Parliament.

"Why was there no one in the Cabinet [who] realised that [and] said: 'No, we made a mistake'?"

Nehawu said the ICC matter was another sign that Zuma's administration and the collective leadership of the ANC were problematic.

"We would have expected the president to say it must stop."

Decision initiated after Sudanese president's visit

The DA's challenge to the government's decision to withdraw from the ICC was heard in the High Court in Pretoria on Monday.

Last month the Constitutional Court dismissed the party's application for direct access to challenge the decision.

On October 21 Justice Minister Michael Masutha told reporters that South Africa had initiated the process of withdrawing from the ICC by notifying the United Nations of the country's intention to revoke its ratification of the Rome Statute, which established the ICC.

The decision followed several court judgments saying that the government violated the law by not arresting ICC-indicted Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir during his visit to South Africa in June last year.

The ICC wants him to stand trial on charges of war crimes, crimes against humanity and genocide.

During the court hearing the executive's counsel Advocate Jeremy Gauntlett admitted that the process to withdraw from the ICC was initiated after the Sudanese president's visit.  

Read more on:    international criminal court  |  nehawu  |  politics

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.