Nkosi loses his bodyguards

2016-05-27 13:19
Msunduzi Municipality city manager Mxolisi Nkosi

Msunduzi Municipality city manager Mxolisi Nkosi

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Pietermaritzburg -The bodyguards assigned to ­suspended municipal manager ­Mxolisi Nkosi have been removed, leading to heated discussion over his safety during Thursday's executive committee meeting.

Nkosi was suspended on full ­benefits in February. DA councillor Bill Lambert asked why the embattled ­municipal manager had had his ­bodyguards taken away from him.

“Removing his bodyguards is ­defying the resolution [to suspend Nkosi on full benefits] taken at this council. Defying it is like treason and whoever is responsible for this ­decision should go,” he said.

Lambert called on Mayor Chris Ndlela to “take an authoritative stand” and deal with the matter ­urgently, and to take action against whoever was responsible for making the decision.

ANC councillor Jabu Ngubo ­attempted to shut down the ­discussion, saying that bodyguards should be provided only if someone faced a serious threat.

“If someone is not facing a serious threat, then how can bodyguards be a full benefit?” she asked.

However, Ngubo was swiftly shot down when Lambert told the committee that she herself had three bodyguards “that no one ever knew about”.

Ngubo did not respond to ­Lambert’s assertions and remained ­silent for the rest of the discussion.

Ndlela said the committee could not discuss the matter further as the report stating whether bodyguards were a full benefit or not was not in the possession of the committee. He advised councillors that the matter could be discussed next week when the report was available and ­scrutinised.

“Now while we wait another week for the next executive committee meeting, the suspended municipal manager will be without his ­bodyguards? God forbid should ­anything happen during the week,” Lambert retaliated.

The acting deputy municipal ­manager for community services, Lungisani Kunene, said discussing the matter in a public forum is “opening the MM to risks”.

“This should be discussed in a ­confidential sitting without the media and members of the public present. By discussing this we are compromising the MM and his family,” he said.

Lambert also raised the issue of the removal of Nkosi’s bodyguards during last week’s executive meeting. The committee took a resolution that the matter would be dealt with at the full council meeting on Wednesday. However, Speaker Babu Baijoo referred it back to the executive committee.

Ndlela said the matter was ­discussed “in such a clumsy way and it is totally wrong”.

EMBATTLED Msunduzi municipal manager Mxolisi Nkosi sent a letter to Khuselani Security and Risk ­Management (KSA), which is ­responsible for all municipal security and bodyguards.

In his letter to security boss ­Mohammed Yacoob, Nkosi explains his concerns after having his ­bodyguards removed.

Nkosi refers to his bodyguards’ phones being replaced without ­reason, and says there have been ­attempts to install illegal tracking devices onto his vehicle.

In his letter, also sent to Msunduzi Mayor Chris Ndlela, Msunduzi ­Speaker Babu Baijoo and his ­attorneys, Nkosi asks for assurances from Yacoob.

The letter, leaked to The Witness, reads:

Hi Mahomed, I hope this ­message finds you in good health. On the 29th of April this year, on my return from out of town, I discovered that my entire security arrangement had been removed without any ­reason or warning.

Yesterday, May 14, 2016, once again, they resumed their duties without any warning or reason why they were removed in the first place.

On enquiry with the council, ­nobody seemed to know why the ­security was removed in the first place and directed the blame at KSA. To this end, I need an assurance that this will not compromise my safety and that of family in view of the ­following:

1. Despite my suspension, [the] risk and threats on my life remains high,

2. When the security personnel was removed, their phones were confiscated for more than two hours after which they were given new phones. I have no doubt in my mind that the presence of those phones in my house or anywhere near me will pose a serious threat to me and those closer to me.

3. I am also aware, through state security agencies, that there have been attempts to place illegal ­tracking devices on my car for ease of tracking and possible attack on my person.

To this end and before I accept them back, I need that assurance together with reasons as to why they were removed in the first place.

Best regards

Mxolisi Nkosi


Mayor Cllr Ndlela

Speaker Cllr Baijoo

Brett Purdon attorneys

Read more on:    pietermaritzburg  |  msunduzi municipality

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24

Financial advisors – Do you need one and should you get one?

The good, the bad, and everything else you need to know when considering hiring a financial advisor.


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.