First time charges laid against former Hawks boss Dramat - NPA

2016-02-19 18:55
Anwa Dramat (Verashni Pillay, News24)

Anwa Dramat (Verashni Pillay, News24)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Johannesburg - The National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) has formally charged former Hawks boss Anwa Dramat, former Gauteng head Shadrack Sibiya and Lesley Maluleke with the alleged illegal deportation of five Zimbabweans.

Spokesperson Luvuyo Mfaku told News24 on Friday that this was the first time the NPA had laid charges against them, contrary to reports that the charges were being reinstated.

"They were never charged, it will be their first appearance," Mfaku said.

The three men would face seven counts of kidnapping, one of defeating the ends of justice, and four of illegal deportation, in terms of the Immigration Act.

Maluleke, another senior Hawks official, would face another three counts of robbery for allegedly taking possessions from the Zimbabwean nationals when they were being deported, Mfaku said.

The men had been notified of Pretoria Director of Public Prosecutions Sibongile Mzinyathi's decision on Friday. They would appear in court within the next two weeks.

In December 2014, Police Minister Nathi Nhleko suspended Dramat as Hawks boss for his alleged involvement in the matter.

A day later, Dramat wrote to Nhleko claiming he was being targeted because he was investigating "dockets implicating influential people", including former police crime intelligence head Richard Mdluli.

He insinuated he feared for his life, and said he would be willing to accept early retirement - as provided for in the Police Act - on condition that Nhleko lift his suspension.

In January last year, the High Court in Pretoria ruled Dramat's suspension was unconstitutional and that he should be reinstated in his post. He however resigned three months later. He was reportedly offered a R3m golden handshake to vacate his position.

Sibiya was fired on August 31 last year for his alleged involvement in the renditions of five Zimbabweans in 2010.

Sibiya had denied any part in it. An inquiry found it unlikely he would not have been aware of the renditions, based on cellphone records and him being at the Hawks offices when Zimbabwean authorities were meeting Dramat.

Read more on:    npa  |  anwa dramat  |  johannesburg

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
Horoscopes
Aquarius
Aquarius

The more solid your foundations and structures are, the higher you can climb. Keep a handle on the present as there is the...read more

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.