Oscar's first TV interview since Reeva's death to address misconceptions – family

2016-06-09 21:12
Oscar Pistorius (Herman Verwey/Media24/Pool)

Oscar Pistorius (Herman Verwey/Media24/Pool)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Pretoria – After declining almost all requests for interviews, former Paralympian Oscar Pistorius will give his first interview since the night he shot and killed his girlfriend, Reeva Steenkamp, to address some of the "misconceptions that have remained unchallenged", says the family.

In a statement on Thursday, Pistorius's uncle Arnold said that after considering various offers and options available, he decided to engage investigative journalist Mark Williams-Thomas from British broadcaster, ITV.

He said ITV would be able to provide the family with a voice.

"I felt his platform on ITV was the most appropriate place to do this – because of its style and format," he said.

Pistorius' uncle said since Steenkamp's death, the family had received numerous requests for paid-for interviews but, despite Oscar's "crippling" legal fees, he has mostly declined the offers.

"Over the past three years we have been very judicious in our media engagement and commented only in situations where it was not possible to manage the weight of media inquiries in other ways.

Handing down of sentence
"We have been deeply respectful of the legal process and mindful not to contribute to the media frenzy that has characterised this case. We declined almost all requests for interviews and comment."

Oscar Pistorius shot and killed his girlfriend Steenkamp in his Pretoria home on Valentine's Day in 2013, claiming he mistook her for an intruder hiding in his toilet.

He served one-sixth of his five-year sentence for culpable homicide in prison. He was released in October last year to serve the remainder under correctional supervision at his uncle's Pretoria home.

The State approached the Supreme Court of Appeal to have the conviction of culpable homicide set aside. On December 3 last year, the court found in favour of the State and found him guilty of murder.

Pistorius now faces a minimum sentence of 15 years and will hear his fate when sentencing proceedings commence on June 13.

Pistorius' uncle said the documentary would be aired after the conclusion of the court proceedings

Read more on:    oscar pistorius  |  arnold pistorius  |  pretoria  |  pistorius trial  |  media

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24

Financial advisors – Do you need one and should you get one?

The good, the bad, and everything else you need to know when considering hiring a financial advisor.


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.