Paramedics protest as attack accused remain behind bars

2017-01-06 13:01
Paramedics protest over attacks against their colleagues (Jenni Evans, News24)

Paramedics protest over attacks against their colleagues (Jenni Evans, News24)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Cape Town - The three men accused of robbing paramedics in Khayelitsha on December 27 will stay behind bars until March 10, for a formal bail application, the Khayelitsha Magistrate's Court ruled on Friday.

As the three men were led into the dock by police, they were startled by the contingency of emergency services workers who had filled up the courtroom in support of their colleagues.

It was a demonstration of their frustrations, after close to 100 robberies and attacks were perpetrated against emergency workers last year. In the latest robbery, the paramedics were treating a patient in Khayelitsha when they were accosted by two of the men, allegedly brandishing a toy gun.

Two 19-year-olds were arrested for the robbery on December 28, while their accomplice, a 24-year-old man, was arrested for being in possession of stolen items, which included cellphones.

'Ambulance staff must be taken seriously'

Health and Other Services Personnel Trade Union of SA (Hospersa) provincial chairperson Michael Serelina praised police for the swift arrest and recovery of the stolen items.

However, he said Friday's court case reflected just the tip of what paramedics face on duty. He said at least 90 cases of attacks, robberies or intimidation were experienced by emergency services staff in 2016.

"This is a breakthrough," said Serelina, but added that there had to be an urgent intervention to stop the attacks.

He said he was disappointed that senior government officials had failed to show any support in court.


(Jenni Evans, News24)

Ahead of the court hearing, emergency services workers sang and held placards which read "Enough is enough" and "No bail" in the parking lot outside the courthouse.

"It is difficult to treat patients," said emergency services employee Justice Mbono, taking a break from singing.

Abongile Nontsange, also employed in the service, said the suspects should remain behind bars to send a message that these attacks were unacceptable.

"Now we have to get police escorts when we go to patients and that delays us from providing a proper service," he said.

District Manager Mark Pietersen said the robberies had continued despite efforts to educate the communities on the importance and urgency of their work.

"The message must be loud and clear: ambulance staff must be taken seriously," he said.

"We want the community to protect us. These people are somebody's children, brothers, sisters. The community must help."


(Jenni Evans, News24)

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.