Rapist kwaito star Brickz to face sentencing

2017-09-14 05:08
Kwaito star Sipho 'Brickz' Ndlovu appears in the dock. (Iavan Pijoos, News24)

Kwaito star Sipho 'Brickz' Ndlovu appears in the dock. (Iavan Pijoos, News24)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Johannesburg - Sentencing proceedings in the trial of kwaito star Sipho Charles Ndlovu, better known as "Brickz", are expected to start in the Roodepoort Magistrate's Court on Thursday.

In July, the court found Ndlovu, 36, guilty of raping a 16-year-old girl at his home in November 2013.

He had spent a month in jail before being released on R50 000 bail. His bail was revoked at his previous appearance in August.

Magistrate John Baloyi said it was not in the interests of justice to release Ndlovu on bail, pending his sentencing.

"The presumption of innocence no longer applies. He has already been convicted. Rape is a big concern in the country. I am not convinced that the accused would attend his sentencing," Baloyi told the court at the time.

Dressed in a black blazer, white shirt and black tie, Ndlovu appeared happy and was smiling ahead of court proceedings at his previous appearance.

Some family members and friends whistled as he made his way to the dock.

READ: Kwaito star Brickz found guilty of rape

'Conscience is clear'

The court heard that Ndlovu had been married to his wife for 12 years and was a father of three. He earned between R40 000 and R50 000 from his musical performances.

During his testimony, Ndlovu claimed he had already begun the process to better his life in prison.

He claimed that the rape charge was a "fake accusation", and that the victim and the witness were close family members.

"I am willing to serve my sentence and was not raised to run from any 'accusation'. I know the truth will come out. I'm innocent and my conscience is clear," Ndlovu told the court.

The Sweety My Baby singer had started getting back into making music in 2015 when he was arrested and charged with assault after he allegedly threatened to kill his lover.

Read more on:    brickz  |  sipho charles ndlovu  |  johannesburg  |  crime

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
Watch: Investing in the future through child development

An investment of R32-million into 11 early childhood development centres is changing the future for children in the Northern Cape.

/Africa
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.