Royal family faction rejects Dalindyebo's son as new king

2016-01-12 11:47
King Buyelekhaya Dalindyebo. (File, City Press)

King Buyelekhaya Dalindyebo. (File, City Press)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

East London - A faction of the abaThembu royal family has rejected support for Prince Azenathi Zanelizwe Dalindyebo, son of King Buyelekhaya Dalindyebo, to assume the throne while his father serves time in jail.

A spokesperson for the royal family, Daludumo Mtirara, said his group "dismisses" the appointment of Azenathi Dalindyebo, claiming other members were using his name to suit their own agenda, TimesLive reported.

Mtirara felt the young prince, who is 23-years-old, should rather concentrate on his studies.

Azenathi’s appointment however was backed by the abaThembu’s executive committee on Monday, a committee set up by Dalindyebo senior in 2009.

Queen Nokwanda Dalindyebo, Buyelekhaya's wife, has also vied for the seat.

Request for new king

The abaThembu royal family elders were expected to meet last week to discuss who would succeed the king, News24 reported.

At the meeting, the royal family agreed to ask President Jacob Zuma to strip Buyelekhaya Dalindyebo of the certificate that recognised him as king under South African law, following his incarceration.

His spear has already been taken away, dethroning him customarily.

The king, meanwhile, was admitted to St Dominic's Hospital in East London on Friday after falling ill due to a hunger strike, EFF leader Julius Malema told News24 on Saturday.

"The hunger strike started on Sunday and he said he was waiting for this type of visit. Only now is he going to start eating."

Malema and members of the EFF executive had met with the king and advised him to start eating again.

"The king has accepted that he will eat," Malema said.


In 2009, Dalindyebo was sentenced to 15 years in prison for culpable homicide, assault with intent to do grievous bodily harm, arson, and kidnapping.

He was granted bail pending the outcome of his appeal to the Supreme Court of Appeal.

In October last year, the SCA set aside his culpable homicide conviction and reduced his sentence to 12 years.

His crimes involved the treatment he meted out to some of his subjects in 1995 and 1996.

Read more on:    buyelekhaya dalindyebo  |  east london

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24

Financial advisors – Do you need one and should you get one?

The good, the bad, and everything else you need to know when considering hiring a financial advisor.


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.