SABC 8 journalist shot in face with pellet gun

2017-01-27 09:05

(Aljoscha Kohlstock, News24)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Cape Town - The SABC inquiry has heard that SABC 8 journalist Suna Venter was shot in the face with a pellet gun last week, following continued threats of intimidation against her.

DA MP Phumzile van Damme revealed to the ad hoc committee on Friday that she received an SMS from Venter to say she discovered that she had been shot in the face by an unknown individual with a pellet gun on January 15, 2017*.

She initially reported to the police that she had been hit with a "heavy object" while near her car, before slamming the car door and driving away.

On Monday, a doctor operated on her wound after it deteriorated and removed two pellets belonging to an air pistol.

She has updated the police. The lead investigator in her case told her the modus operandi did not match a hijacking or mugging.

Intimidation

Committee chairperson Vincent Smith said Venter had alerted him to her condition as well earlier this week.

IFP MP Narend Singh suggested the committee write an urgent letter to all the relevant authorities, including the police, that the matter be addressed immediately.

ACDP MP Steve Swart said the matter is very serious, seems to be continuing, and that a risk assessment needs to be done urgently.

ANC MP Hlomane Chauke said Parliament needs to do something before someone gets killed, and that the committee does not want people accusing it of not having done anything.

DA MP Mike Waters said the "shooting" happened hours after Venter and SABC 8 journalists sent written testimony to the inquiry, and it is thus a clear case of intimidation.

Waters said acting national police commissioner Khomotso Phahlane should be called in and must address Parliament publicly regarding the "rot" at the SABC and threats against journalism.

Venter was part of a group of eight SABC journalists who were fired, and seven later reinstated, for objecting to former COO Hlaudi Motsoeneng’s policy of no longer airing footage of violent protests.

Smith said he would write to Police Minister Nathi Nhleko to ask for protection for threatened witnesses.

*Update: Venter told News24 on Friday that she made a mistake in the date she sent Van Damme. The date has been changed from November 15 to January 15 due to the incorrect date in the SMS below.

Read more on:    sabc  |  parliament 2017  |  media

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.