SABC 8 take Parliament to ConCourt over SABC decisions

2016-10-17 13:27
SABC. (File)

SABC. (File) (Aljoscha Kohlstock, News24)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Cape Town - The Constitutional Court must order Parliament to probe its own decisions around recent events at the public broadcaster, the SABC 8 have said in court papers.

In papers filed on Friday, the eight journalists, who were fired and then rehired by the SABC in September following a lengthy Labour Court battle, want the National Assembly to institute an inquiry into the various issues plaguing the broadcaster, including their firings.

The court papers say the portfolio committee on communications neglected its constitutional duty when it failed to hear the pleas of the journalists to attend a sitting and explain their cases in August.

Rather, it opted to conclude that their issues had been "resolved" following a Labour Court ruling that their dismissals be set aside and a statement from then chief operating officer Hlaudi Motsoeneng at a committee meeting in August.

"We submit that conduct of the portfolio committee in this regard amounts to a patent breach of its constitutional obligations," the papers read.

"Far from exercising oversight over the SABC and ensuring that the SABC was accountable to it, it proceeded to wash its hands of the issue."

Waiting for responses

READ: SABC 8 press on with ConCourt battle

Speaker of Parliament Baleka Mbete, committee chairperson Humphrey Maxegwana, the Independent Communications Authority of South Africa (Icasa), and the SABC were some of the respondents listed in the papers.

Only the SABC and Mbete had responded, the papers said. Both opposed the application.

They were still waiting for a response from Icasa and Maxegwana.

The SABC came in for criticism in July when it fired Foeta Krige, Suna Venter, Krivani Pillay, Thandeka Gqubule, Busisiwe Ntuli, Lukhanyo Calata, Vuyo Mvoko and Jacques Steenkamp for speaking out against the broadcaster's policy to not show footage of violent protests.

Seven were reinstated when the Labour Court set aside the dismissal on July 26. Mvoko, who was employed as a freelancer, lost his case against the SABC.

Steenkamp has since resigned from the SABC and will take up a new post in New Zealand in November.

Motsoeneng meanwhile was removed as COO in September following a Supreme Court of Appeal ruling that his appointment to that position be set aside, but was reappointed to general executive for corporate affairs this month.

WATCH this video:

Read more on:    sabc  |  sabc 8  |  cape town  |  media  |  parliament 2016  |  media freedom

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24

Financial advisors – Do you need one and should you get one?

The good, the bad, and everything else you need to know when considering hiring a financial advisor.


Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.