SABC board must go back to drawing board - Sanco

2016-06-28 10:11

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Johannesburg - The SABC board should go back to the drawing board to minimise instability in the wake of its acting CEO Jimi Mathews resignation, The South African National Civic Organisation (SANCO) said on Tuesday.

In a statement, Sanco spokesperson, Jabu Mahlangu said, "The resignation calls for the SABC Board to go back to the drawing board and strategies so as how it is going to minimise instability and the possible knock-on effect of the resignation."

Mahlangu said it was important for the public to be assured that the content value they receive in the run-up to the local government elections will not be affected.

“Matthews was held in high esteem within and outside the SABC for his professionalism, experience and in-depth knowledge of the communication industry. His resignation is an obvious loss,” he added. 

He said that urgent filling of all vacant positions at executive senior management level will assist the organisation to stabilise and execute its mandate to inform, educate and entertain.

SABC ‘wrong’

Matthews resigned from the SABC, saying recent changes at the broadcaster are “wrong” and he has compromised his values under the current leadership.

Matthews posted a picture of his resignation letter on Twitter on Monday morning, indicating his decision to leave following widespread changes under COO Hlaudi Motsoeneng.

“For many months I have compromised the values that I hold dear under the mistaken belief that I could be more effective inside the SABC than outside, passing comment from the side-lines."

Matthews said the “corrosive atmosphere” had impacted negatively on his moral judgement, and made him complicit in decisions he “was not proud of”.

The SABC has been criticised after Motsoeneng made several changes to its editorial content.

Staff said they were generally confused and unhappy about recent happenings at the broadcaster, News24 reported earlier on Tuesday.

- Read more: Staff afraid of losing their jobs - SABC journalist

Read more on:    sanco  |  sabc  |  johannesburg  |  media

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
ADVERTORIAL
Competition regulation for a growing and inclusive economy

ADVERTORIAL: The Competition Commission of South Africa is conducting advocacy work in the South African automotive aftermarket industry and has gazetted a Draft Code of Conduct for public comment.

/News
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.