Sentencing of 2nd 'balaclava rapist' postponed

2017-09-26 18:01
High Court. (Duncan Alfreds, News24)

High Court. (Duncan Alfreds, News24)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Johannesburg – The sentencing of the second balaclava rapist, Sinja Robin Mabitsela, has been postponed for Judge Carla van Veenendaal to read through the victim impact statements of six men.

The South Gauteng High Court in Johannesburg heard on Tuesday that sentencing proceedings would be moved to November 16.

Prosecutor Michelle Bayat told News24 that they had submitted additional reports, but the judge felt that it was important to take into account the experiences of the six men who had also gone through a terrible ordeal when compelled to rape their partners at gunpoint by the balaclava rapists.

The men have been called the "balaclava rapists" in the media because they had worn balaclavas over their faces when raping their victims.

"It is time to acknowledge the men who were also victimised by these traumatic events," said Van Veenendaal to Bayat. Van Veenendaal requested that probation officers meet with the six men and put together victim impact reports.

The 38-year-old Mabitsela is charged with 23 counts of rape, six counts of compelled rape, 18 counts of armed robbery, three counts of sexual assault, two counts of kidnapping, and a count of assault with intent to do grievous bodily harm. He has a previous unrelated conviction.

He was found guilty in March this year. Read the article here.

Bayat has suggested life imprisonment for the rapes, including the rape of an underage girl, and a 15-year minimum sentence for the other counts.

"We trust that the new evidence will be taken into account. Our organisation wants multiple life sentences to reflect the horror of their crimes," said Women and Men Against Child Abuse’s Kidz Clinic in a statement.

The organisation said it hoped that the sentence would send a strong message to potential perpetrators.

Mabitsela operated with a partner - Josias Xaniseka Mkansi, 50. They raped, robbed, and forced men to rape their partners in Alexandra, Johannesburg, between 2007 and 2015. They were caught in 2015.

Mkansi appeared for pre-sentencing in the South Gauteng High Court earlier in September on 16 counts of rape and 11 counts of armed robbery. His sentencing has been postponed to October 3.


Read more on:    johannesburg  |  crime

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/Sport
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.