Singh breaks his silence over fallout with the DA

2016-08-01 12:00

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Pietermaritzburg - Former DA councillor Jaiheen Singh says he decided to go it alone as an independent candidate in Wednesday’s local government election because of red tape in his former party.

Singh resigned from the DA with about a month to go before the end of his term in what was seen as a political fallout with the party.

The Witness at that time reported that Singh, who would then not comment on his future, was registered as an independent candidate with the Independent Electoral Commission.

Singh has now broken his silence over the fallout. “Due to political parties not paying attention to the needs of the community, I will be contesting the 2016 local government elections as an independent candidate for Ward 30.

“During the past five years I was the ward councillor for Ward 30 under the banner of a political party. However, as an independent councillor my mouth will no more be sealed by party protocols.

“I will be placing the concerns and issues of the residents first, and not a political agenda to serve party interests. As a mature and dedicated former councillor for Ward 30, the residents of my ward will receive my personal attention for service delivery.

“The experience gained by me during my tenure as a councillor will be carried through to benefit my constituency,” he said.

Singh said he would focus on the issues that are important to the ward, such as the completion of the Raisethorpe canalisation, the “exorbitant tariffs” on municipal hall hire and rates, resettlement of informal settlements to proper RDP housing, and the poor visibility of traffic policing.

Singh said he would continue to bring back the quality service that prevailed in Ward 30 and beyond.

He said managers of departments responsible for shoddy workmanship and who fail to deliver will also continuously be exposed through regular feedbacks, as in the case the past.

The DA’s mayoral candidate for Msunduzi, Mergan Chetty, had previously rubbished Singh’s claims, saying his position in the party had already been terminated.

Chetty said Singh was informed in March this year that he would not be returning as a candidate in the coming elections.

“Voting for independent candidates is a waste of your votes.

“They have no influence in the city because they have no proportional representative councillors,” Chetty said.

• sabelo.nsele@witness.co.za

Read more on:    pietermaritzburg  |  da

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

EFF wins Wits SRC elections

2017-10-20 08:52

Inside News24

 
ADVERTORIAL
Competition regulation for a growing and inclusive economy

ADVERTORIAL: The Competition Commission of South Africa is conducting advocacy work in the South African automotive aftermarket industry and has gazetted a Draft Code of Conduct for public comment.

/News
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.