WATCH: Violence erupts at ANC Eastern Cape conference

2017-10-01 11:12

East London – Blood-stained floor tiles, broken chairs, stun grenades and bloodied delegates characterised the ANC Eastern Cape's elective conference on Saturday night.

One delegate was taken to hospital on a stretcher, while seven others were rushed from the scene by ambulance.

News24 has confirmed that disgruntled delegates applied to the high court to interdict the conference. The matter was expected to be heard later on Sunday. 

"How can we continue when our delegates are in hospital. We cannot let this conference continue. We will go to court if we have to," one delegate said.

Some delegates had earlier cried foul over the registration process, with claims of unauthorised members being allowed to participate in the event.

The party demanded that all delegates produce identity documents before entering the venue.

ANC provincial executive committee member Mlibo Qoboshiyane told reporters that the violence erupted during the adoption of credentials at around midnight, when delegates demanded to know what happened to some of the branches and their members.

"Because... we [have] too [many] altercations when it comes to that, there was a proposal that there must be division of the house, which did not sit well with the branches," he said.

"They started to sing up until there was division of the house. Then we saw chairs flying and people get injured. Some had to rush [out] for their safety, they were trampled upon and indeed there were injuries that happened."

He said the conference would continue despite the incident.

Three hours earlier, police fired stun grenades to disperse a group of ANC members near the gates of the International Convention Centre, where the conference was being held.

Police on the scene told News24 that a group of ANC supporters attempted to force their way past the gate to the centre.

- Read more: Stun grenades fired as group tries to force their way into ANC Eastern Cape conference

The group was divided among those in support of provincial chair Phumulo Masualle and those for secretary Oscar Mabuyane.

ANC National Executive Committee delegate Lindiwe Zulu came out after that incident to assure the media that the situation outside was not a reflection of any chaos inside.

She said the adoption of credentials was being debated "vigorously and smoothly" by delegates.

On Saturday morning, the party's communications official ushered in secretaries of the eight regions to the media room, which was situated 14 floors away from the conference.

One by one, each regional secretary assured that media that their delegates had been satisfied with its delegation's accreditation.

Police presence had to be intensified at the conference after Masualle's supporters forced their way into the conference hall on Friday night. The delegates in support of Mabuyane and Masualle clashed and police were called in to diffuse the matter.

- Read more: Masualle supporters disrupt first day of ANC Eastern Cape conference

On Saturday, provincial executive committee member Andile Lungisa claimed Mabuyane was rigging the numbers. Lungisa told News24 that "friends and girlfriends" were accredited for the conference instead of branch approved delegates.

Another delegate from OR Tambo region, Mluleki Dlelanga promised delegates at the gates of the venue that something will be done about 'bogus' delegates.

Nominations

In the early hours of Sunday morning Mabuyane accepted nomination for the position of chair nomination while Masualle as well as Lungisa were not present to accept their nominations.

PEC member Stella Ndabeni-Abrahams tweeted that Masualle was injured running away from the violence.

During nominations the electoral commission said despite some absences, a quorum was reached - according to ANC constitution.

It was announced that 951 delegates were present for nominations and voting. However shortly after the nominations, the proceeding were suspended until Sunday morning for Masualle to accept or decline his nomination.

NEC delegate Zizi Kodwa confirmed that that presidential hopeful and current ANC deputy president Cyril Ramaphosa would close the conference on Sunday. 

Read more on:    anc  |  east london  |  politics

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.