Zuma condemns deadly attack at top Burkina Faso hotel

2016-01-16 16:30
Burkina Faso troops on patrol. (Theo Renaut, AP)

Burkina Faso troops on patrol. (Theo Renaut, AP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Pretoria - President Jacob Zuma has condemned the terrorist attacks at a restaurant and a hotel in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, the Department of International Relations and Co-operation said on Saturday.

“The South African Government joins the international community in strongly condemning the cowardly terrorist attacks that took place at a restaurant and a hotel in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, on  Friday, 15 January, 2016, that resulted in the deaths and injuries of scores of innocent civilians,” spokesperson Nelson Kgwete said in a statement.

“On behalf of the Government and people of South Africa, H.E President Jacob Zuma has conveyed a message of deepest condolences to H.E President Roch Marc Christian Kaboré, the Government and people of Burkina Faso, particularly the families of the victims.”

Agence France-Presse (AFP) reported that at least 23 people from 18 countries were killed in an attack by jihadist gunmen on a top hotel and a restaurant in the capital of Burkina Faso, before security forces ended the siege on Saturday and killed four assailants.

126 people freed

A total of 126 people were freed, including 33 wounded, from the four-star Splendid hotel, popular with Westerners and UN personnel, after security forces retook the 147-room facility and the Cappuccino restaurant nearby in the early hours of Saturday, Interior Minister Simon Compaore told AFP.

A security source told the organisation that the attack had been contained by mid-day on Saturday.

Al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM) claimed responsibility for the attack saying it was "revenge against France and the disbelieving West", according to a statement carried by US-based monitoring group SITE.

Kgwete said South Africa stood with the rest of the international community in its condemnation of the attacks targeting innocent civilians.

“… Terrorism, in whatever form and from whichever quarter, cannot be condoned. The South African Embassy in Ouagadougou is closely monitoring developments and will report to Pretoria as soon as information is available on the well-being of any South African citizens,” he said.

Read more on:    aqim  |  burkina faso  |  west africa  |  security

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24

 
/News

Book flights

Compare, Book, Fly

Traffic Alerts
Horoscopes
Aquarius
Aquarius

Impatience can complicate the process. Today is a day where patience will be your greatest asset. Mars moves into a stationary...read more

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.