News24

35+ complaints sent to ANC on candidate list

2012-01-19 20:54

Johannesburg - The ANC received more than 35 complaints from party members in Limpopo on alleged irregularities in the May 2011 local government elections candidate lists, its provincial office said on Thursday.

More complaints than expected were received when the national executive committee's (NEC) task team arrived in Polokwane on Wednesday, said spokesperson Makonde Mathivha.

The NEC decided to intervene and investigate after receiving complaints that popular candidates had been removed from the ANC's candidate lists.

The probe, which started on Thursday, was being headed by Home Affairs Minister Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma.

The investigation began with a meeting between the task team and the provincial executive committee.
"They [task team] are now going to meet with the structures from different regions," said Mathivha.

"They want to understand... the nature of the complaints."

Mathivha said the team would also meet the screening committees put in place during the local government elections to discuss what they knew about the candidate lists.

The regions where the complaints surfaced were Peter Mokaba, Mopane, the Waterberg, Vhembe, and Sekhukhune.

The task team had already completed investigations in seven other provinces.

After Limpopo, the task team would head to the Eastern Cape. It would then compile a report to be presented to the NEC.


Comments
  • Squeegee - 2012-01-19 21:01

    Just give Limpopo to Mugabe.

  • Michelle - 2012-01-19 21:06

    One word = Joke.

      Herman - 2012-01-19 22:06

      yip

  • customdesign - 2012-01-19 21:13

    Im not a fan of the ANC but I would say 35 complaints are good going out of erm... how many people in SA?

  • TheWatcher - 2012-01-19 21:14

    I wonder if this has something to do with the 1.5bn rand of unauthorized expenditure? (Me too I want a tender!)

      Huey - 2012-01-19 22:47

      I am Vernacular! Even me, I want a tender!

      Lila - 2012-01-20 12:09

      25billion, not 1.5bn...

  • Piet - 2012-01-19 21:34

    Eish the cadres fighting for the spoils again!

  • braamc - 2012-01-19 21:38

    ANC is above the law. What f^&6cken useless hateful thieves they are

  • Dave - 2012-01-19 21:45

    In Limpopo, is 1 500 000, more than 35?

  • Thabang - 2012-01-19 21:49

    Damage controll at long last!! The team must leave no stone unturned.Start with Mafefe Village.1000members(in the pocket of an unpopular-imposed candidate)instead of 1500members(popular candidate),leading to the voting of an Independent-ANC.This was to the dissappointment of the dubious group,currently running the Limpopo Government to the ground.The buck should stop here!!!

  • mastersvoice - 2012-01-19 22:19

    It is a disgrace that the ANC is only willing to tackle internal corruption and underhandedness when its aimed at a faction opposing the current leadership! The message is simple: if you support whoever is currently leading the ANC, you can steal, rape and plunder your constituency as much as you like. If not, you're in for the chop.

  • Paul - 2012-01-20 06:57

    Um, it is January 2012 and these complaints are from May 2011. Talk about deadtime between event and measurement.

  • Sikanyiso - 2012-01-20 08:39

    The issue of list rigging is a ghastly phenomenon within the ANC structures which needs to be tackled with caution and without bias or favour. The problem is that even the leaders who are suppose to intervene have also interests. What is also interesting in some areas people who are compaling about list flaws are the ones who were attempting to create parallel structures but failed. This happened in Port St Johs in the Eastern Cape. In one incident they throw a stan grenade inside the hall after they notice that they were outnumbered, people ran away for their lives. It was agreed the meeting be held in the next day, but left the agreed venue and conduct their own near Second beach. This happened in the presence of a ANC provincial observer. The current councillors in Port St Johns are all legitimate as they were elected by the overwhelming majority of the people of Port St Johns. The rebellion against the current council is sponsored by people who were in charge of the municipality before the elections. They wanted to impose their own councillors for reasons we don't know. I'm not sure he list complants in Port St Johns should not be taken serious. The Municipality had to be closed because of the financial problems inherited from the previous council. We should bother more about service delivery not who be in or out in the list. Because ANC is not about personal enrichment, but it is about improving the lives of our people so that they do not loose faith in our government.

  • Lloyd - 2012-01-20 09:16

    no surprise here

  • pages:
  • 1