News24

ANC Limpopo probing election lists

2012-01-25 20:44

Johannesburg - The ANC in Limpopo is still investigating alleged irregularities in last year's local government elections candidate lists, a provincial spokesman said on Wednesday.

"Upon conclusion of the investigations a report will be presented to the NEC [national executive committee] of the ANC for decisions and actions," Makonde Mathivha said in a statement.

"Limpopo’s provincial executive committee [PEC] will then make its own decisions and take appropriate actions after this NEC process has been concluded."

The African National Congress's NEC decided to investigate after receiving complaints that popular candidates had been removed from the ANC's candidate lists for the May 2011 elections.

It received more than 35 complaints from party members in Limpopo.

The probe, the Limpopo leg of which started last week, is being headed by Home Affairs Minister Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma.

Mathivha said there had been progress.

The investigation began with a meeting between the task team and the PEC.

The team would also meet with structures from different regions and the committees put in place during the local government elections to discuss what they knew about the candidate lists.

The regions where there were complaints were Peter Mokaba, Mopane, Waterberg, Vhembe, and Sekhukhune.

The task team had already completed investigations in seven other provinces. After Limpopo, it would head to the Eastern Cape and then compile a report to be presented to the NEC.