ANC probe of lists starts in Eastern Cape
Johannesburg - The ANC's investigation into alleged irregularities in the May 2011 local government elections candidate lists started in the Eastern Cape on Wednesday.
Home Affairs Minister Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma, who heads the probe, said the investigation team was meeting with the ANC's provincial executive committee and the provincial list committee in King Williams Town.
The team would then meet with the people who were involved in the list process in Buffalo City, Amathole, OR Tambo, Nelson Mandela, Chris Hani, Alfred Nzo and Joe Gqabi regions, she said in a statement.
The task team had already completed investigations in eight other provinces. The Eastern Cape was the last province.
"We have been able to successfully do our investigative work until this last province, primarily because of the co-operation and support we have been getting," Dlamini-Zuma said.
After its visit to the Eastern Cape, the task team would compile a report on all the provinces. This would be presented to the African National Congress's national executive committee.
Before last year's May 18 local government elections, the ANC announced a new process allowing communities to select their candidates.
There were several protests around the country when popular candidates were removed from the candidate lists.