ANCYL abandons march
Johannesburg - The ANC Youth League has abandoned plans to march to strategic centres of economic power during its 65th birthday celebrations.
"Our focus is on our political programme and birthday celebrations," spokesperson Magdalene Moonsamy said on Thursday.
"It’s not about dropping plans, but we have to look at what our priority is at the moment."
The league began its birthday celebrations on Thursday with a memorial lecture at the University of Pretoria. On Saturday, it would have a rally and cake-cutting ceremony in Alexandra, Johannesburg.
Last month, the league called on all provinces to march to strategic centres of the economy as part of its "economic freedom in our lifetime" campaign. These centres included the Johannesburg Stock Exchange, Chamber of Mines, Agri SA and the Union Buildings.
"The ANCYL will mobilise all young people, unemployed youth, informal settlement dwellers to fight against economic oppression in all its formats and character," spokesperson Floyd Shivambu said recently.
The National Development Agency, which grants funds to civil society organisations, denied reports on Thursday it would be leading the march on behalf of the youth league.