ANCYL disciplinary hearing moved
Johannesburg - The ANC Youth League disciplinary hearing will be moved away from Luthuli House in the Johannesburg city centre, the ANC said on Tuesday.
"The ANC national disciplinary committee, following the disruption last week of businesses situated around ANC headquarters at Chief Albert Luthuli House, has resolved to move the venue for the hearing involving ANC Youth League leaders to another location," committee chairperson Derek Hanekom said.
A law firm had given the ANC until 16:00 on Tuesday to indicate whether it would move the hearing out of the CBD, or face legal action.
In a letter addressed to the secretary general Gwede Mantashe, BDK attorneys asked the ANC for an undertaking that the matter would not be heard at Luthuli House, if not finalised on Sunday.
Last week streets around Luthuli House were closed as Malema's supporters pelted policemen and journalists with stones.
Piet du Plessis from BDK said the firm lost business as potential and existing clients refused to enter the area, fearing for their safety.
The hearing was scheduled to resume on Sunday, September 11, at a venue still to be announced.
The ANC was conducting disciplinary hearings after it charged the leaders of its youth wing with various violations of the party's constitution. League president Julius Malema and spokesperson Floyd Shivambu face charges related to comments on helping bring about regime change in Botswana.
Deputy president Ronald Lamola, secretary general Sindiso Magaqa, his deputy Kenetswe Mosenogi, and treasurer general Pule Mabe have been charged with contravening rule 25.5 (q) and rule 25.5(o) of the Constitution of the ANC.
The latter rule relates to "prejudicing the integrity or repute of the organisation, its personnel or its operational capacity".
The former relates to "deliberately disrupting meetings and interfering with the orderly functioning of the organisation".