ANCYL hearing adjourned
Johannesburg - The disciplinary hearing involving youth league leader Julius Malema and five of his colleagues has been adjourned until Friday, the ANC Youth League said on Wednesday afternoon.
"Malema is consulting lawyers inside at the moment," spokesperson Floyd Shivambu told reporters outside African National Congress headquarters Luthuli House in Johannesburg.
He said the hearings would continue at the venue on Friday.
Youth league deputy secretary general of Kenetswe Mosenogi thanked those who had gathered outside for their support.
"A lot has happened that we can't tell you about right now, due to internal matters, but we want to tell you that victory is certain."
He also thanked supporters for their behaviour on Wednesday.
"We are the future of South Africa. The future depends on us as the youth."
When he and Shivambu finished speaking the crowd dispersed.
Earlier, ANC spokesperson Keith Khoza said the disciplinary committee would deal with each of the accused individually.
"They are in the hearing... they are to deal with each person as an individual."
ANC spokesperson Jackson Mthembu declined to comment on the hearing. Neither would he comment on the venue, which the ANC had initially said would be changed after Tuesday's violence by league supporters, but then decided to keep at party headquarters in Johannesburg's city centre.
The Star reported on Wednesday that Malema failed on Tuesday to get the ANC members hearing the charges to recuse themselves.
They are committee chairman Derek Hanekom, Mining Minister Susan Shabangu and Minister in the Presidency Collins Chabane.
Malema supporters on Wednesday marched in the streets around Luthuli House. They whistled, blew vuvuzelas, pointed at the building and shouted "voetsek".
Some held placards reading: "Juju a profound thinker... a champion of our economic policies".
The SA Students Congress (Sasco) and the Eastern Cape ANC condemned the violence by ANC Youth League supporters on Tuesday.
"We are extremely angered by the reported sexual harassment and assault on a female journalist by these hooligans who purport to be ANCYL members," Sasco president Mbulelo Mandlana said outside Luthuli House.
"We call on the ANCYL not just to distance itself, but to act decisively against those within its ranks who committed this sexual assault... and those who trashed equipment," he said.
On Tuesday, rioters threw pieces of bricks at journalists and police officers, while women journalists were groped and insulted.
The Eastern Cape ANC "strongly condemned the regrettable acts of hooliganism".
"We are utterly dismayed by the burning of the ANC flags, t-shirts and posters bearing the face of the president. We request the NEC [national executive committee] to spare no effort in identifying these culprits and they must face the full might of our disciplinary processes," provincial spokesperson Mlibo Qhoboshiyane said in a statement.
"It is our view that those who have taken the responsibility to mobilise and bus crowds to gather outside Luthuli House - the leadership of the ANC Youth League - should also take full responsibility for the violence, criminality and ill-discipline that has accompanied these crowds."
The Congress of SA Trade Unions in Limpopo called for ANCYL officials to be disciplined.
Earlier on Wednesday, supporters, including some children, held posters with the words: "Hands off our youth league president", "Juju fever", and: "Juju never said let's bomb Botswana like imperialists from Libya or Iraq".
Some wore t-shirts portraying the face of ousted president Thabo Mbeki, who was removed from office a few months after Jacob Zuma became leader of the African National Congress in December 2007.
Journalists and police in riot gear watched from behind a barbed wire barricade.
On Tuesday afternoon, Malema urged his supporters to stop attacking the media and police.
Police said their colleague, who was hit by a rock on Tuesday, received stitches in hospital and was back on duty on Wednesday.
Most businesses were open again after closing their doors on Tuesday.
Malema, Shivambu, deputy president Ronald Lamola, secretary general Sindiso Magaqa, his deputy Mosenogi, and treasurer general Pule Mabe face charges of bringing the ANC into disrepute and sowing divisions in ANC ranks.
This was after Malema said the ANCYL would send a team to Botswana to consolidate local opposition parties and to help bring about regime change, as it believed the government there was "in full co-operation with imperialists" and undermining the "African agenda".