ANCYL official facing public violence charge
Johannesburg - A charge of inciting public violence has been laid against Limpopo ANC Youth League secretary Jacob Lebogo, the Democratic Alliance said on Monday.
Lebogo was allegedly identified as a ringleader of a violent protest outside the ANC's Luthuli House headquarters last week during a disciplinary hearing of ANCYL president Julius Malema and his executive.
"According to my information, the gatherings organised by ANCYL supporters were illegal," said Gauteng DA spokesperson John Moodey.
He said the ANCYL had not sought permission to protest in terms of the Gatherings Act, which was a criminal act.
Moodey laid the charge at the Johannesburg Central police station on Monday.
"Damage to public property is estimated to run in the millions and the devastating knock the economy of the CBD took due to the disruption of business cannot be left unchallenged," he said.
The ANC has brought Malema and ANCYL spokesperson Floyd Shivambu before a disciplinary committee for comments about helping to bring about regime change in Botswana.
Also before the disciplinary committee are ANCYL league deputy president Ronald Lamola, secretary general Sindiso Magaqa, his deputy Kenetswe Mosenogi, and treasurer general Pule Mabe.
They have been charged with deliberately disrupting meetings and interfering with the orderly functioning of the organisation, and prejudicing the integrity or repute of ANC, its personnel or its operational capacity.
Last week, protesters at the hearing pelted policemen and journalists with stones after Lebogo spoke.
The ANCYL's Limpopo chairperson Frans Moswane has denied that the rampage was triggered by Lebogo's speech.
Moswane told the SABC: "It cannot be correct that when there were stones, the stones came from Limpopo. There were stones everywhere."
Warrant Officer Lorraine van Emmerik confirmed that a case had been opened.
"I can confirm the case was opened this morning [Monday]," she said.