Cape Town insists on toll notice
Cape Town - The City of Cape Town wants Transport Minister Sibusiso Ndebele to give three months’ notice should he change his mind about allowing the SA National Roads Agency (Sanral) to proceed with a toll road project.
Councillor Brett Herron asked Ndebele to confirm in writing that he had issued the instruction to Sanral to halt the project.
He made these requests to the minister in a letter, the city said on Wednesday.
Herron also wrote to Water and Environmental Affairs Minister Edna Molewa, asking her to consider rescinding the initial environmental authorisation.
"The ... environmental authorisation was given without considering the socio-economic impact of the toll roads project on Cape Town."
"It has requested that Minister Molewa issue a suspension of the Sanral toll road project’s environmental authorisation."
The city said it would consider suspending litigation if both ministers gave an assurance in writing that Sanral would not be given the nod to continue with its toll road project
Ndebele ordered Sanral to halt all road project processes related to the tolling of national roads last month.
At the time, he said that good infrastructure was a necessity for a better future for the country, but this requirement "must not leave our people even poorer".
The City of Cape Town has been locked in a legal battle with Sanral over proposals to toll highways around the city.